hard drive ??

bnizzel2000

Baseband Member
okay greeak guys heres a ? for ya i have a external it was a mybook with a western digital hardrive inside. it got dropped when i moved and broke the case. the harddrive works when the original parts are plugged in but i wanted to put it in my case but when i hook everything up it doesn't work but it works when its hook up with the power supplie and cables just not with the sata cable and stat power from my power supply

any ideas

What do you mean when you say it doesn't work when it's attached in your computer case? If it doesn't show up, try looking in Disk Management.

its doesnt show up in any type of file find or disk management its like its not there but when i hookup the power chip thing that was in the encloser and plug in the power suplly in then it works.

That's odd as it's just a standard hard drive. If you're sure everything is connected correctly, I'm at a loss.

yeah everything is hookup right and i thought id ask you guys bc i went to a computer store by my house and he couldn't figure anything out to

Are you sure the power cord form the computer is aligned correctly on the drive? The SATA power and data cables are keyed so they can only attached one way. Check to make sure the keyed part on the drive isn't broken.

I could be wrong, but it might need a jumper to be set in order to have it recognized, as it could be interfering with other drives...like a drive that's set to Single Drive...meaning nothing else is attached to. Like I've mentioned...I COULD be wrong.

First off, does it turn on? If not, then try unplugging the SATA cable, and see what happens.

i'd second the jumper settings suggestion. only other thing i can think of is maybe faulty cables in your machine?

check that its powering up from the internal power connectors only, dont plug in the data transfer cable, if it powers up then examine your data cables with precision. try replacing the data transfer cable.

otherwise no idea at all.

actuality i got it fixed it turns out that the board that plugs into the sata power and sata drive had an encryption on it. so i had a friend of mine look at it and he figured out the code for it and then i reformatted it and now it works yeaaaaaaaaa

Back
Top Bottom