Rear Left Speaker is really quiet

vaio-fx

Daemon Poster
Sorry to be always asking questions about speakers on here. I sold off some of my speakers a few months ago and now i have just the one system - Sony LBT-LX9AV. It's a great system but recently I decided I wanted to hook it up to my TV and found a very annoying fault. The rear left speaker doesnt seem to make any noise, if you turn the amp right up to full volume, you can start to hear sounds faintly. It is not the speaker as I tried plugging the rear right speaker into the same slot and found I still had the issue, I also pluged both rear surround speakers into an enitrely different amp and they both worked. So for some reason there seems to be a problem with my rear left speaker terminal. Does anyone have any idea what could be the cause and if there's a fix, I guess I could just double up the rear right terminal but I'd prefer to try and fix this if I could first. Thanks

You may have already done this. I will state it anyway in case you didn't.

Isolate the sound system on a different power circuit of the house first to eliminate feed back from other devices such as the TV.

Since it is slightly audible at high volumes, it seems to tell me that either, like you said, the terminal is damaged (loose wire?), though, would it be quiet? Wouldn't it be static like instead?

Or, its hearing cross talk from another speaker, and so isn't receiving a signal of its own at all

Since it is slightly audible at high volumes, it seems to tell me that either, like you said, the terminal is damaged (loose wire?), though, would it be quiet? Wouldn't it be static like instead?
It could still be the terminal - if most of it has come away but a strand is still left on, you'll have this sort of effect due to the increased resistance.

Look in the setup for the tv and make sure it's set to stereo. Then look in the amp setup and see if the left rear volume is turned down. If it's having to synthesize the surround channels check the other mode settings.

thanks for all the replies. Firstly, yeah I tried isolating the system onto its own power circuit, that didnt solve the issue. Ive tried opening up the amp, to see if there were loose connections, but the terminal is soldered straight onto the main board and it's not loose. Weird thing was, I vacuumed the terminal and it made it slightly louder, but theres no dirt inside it that I can see. It doesn't just do it throught TV, you can play CD's in surround too and it does it then too, also the rear volume on the amp is linked for both rear speakers, not just left and right individually, and it is turned up.

Have you checked the cable itself? If you don't have a multimeter then use the cable on the good surround channel. If the speaker still doesn't work the renew the cable. If it does work then the problem is with the hifi and/or its terminals.

I tried different cable and unfortunately, the problem is still there, its definately a probelm with the stereo/amplifier. The stereo has developed a few problems such as that speaker not working, the second aux input doesnt work properly, i get crackling sometimes. It is a 10 year old system, it would be good to replace it, but all the new "mini hifis" they sell in UK are pathetic, its a shame because sony (along with panasonic, jvc, lg etc) all sell really good home speaker systems in america which I'd hapily spend money on to replace this one. I don't suppose there is any way of importing one is there?

With that description it sounds like a problem with the amp. You may be able to get it fixed - but given the age I doubt it'd be worth it.

I don't suppose there is any way of importing one is there?
You may have to pay customs, and extra for shipping - but I don't see why it'd be impossible. Just more hassle (and also bear in mind the voltage difference.)

yeah its not worth spending money on it. Also you're right and it'd probably cost a fortune, plus I'd have to find a company which is willing to send it to the UK in the first place, so it's probably not realistic and as you say about the voltage, id need some sort of converter.

Back
Top Bottom