Method of decreasing spam

Yeah I am done defending the ideas people have suggested.
I don't care anymore, do what you want to do.
Which is probably absolutely nothing but what we have now.

Don't get bitter. The ideas suggested were considered and discarded. It's not like we didn't listen. I think adding 1-2 mods is probably the best solution at the moment.

For an example, I was on a larger, very well moderated forum last night and I saw at least 4 or 5 spam threads. Making it harder to sign up will only slow the spammers down for a bit, but what happens when they figure out how to circumvent the new controls? More spam controls are like more gun laws, it just makes it harder for those that are doing nothing wrong while the bad guys are doing business as usual. We just need to diligently take care of the spam that gets through. Personally, I think we do a pretty good job at it for the amount of mods we have.

Don't get bitter. The ideas suggested were considered and discarded. It's not like we didn't listen. I think adding 1-2 mods is probably the best solution at the moment.
Not bitter, just don't feel like typing and arguing about something that will never change anymore.
Oh, and AR; we wouldn't add to the already captchas, we would replace them.

I realize that vampist. But are there any proven systems that you can replace them with that hasn't already been defeated?

How about showing us some popular forums that has a new security system installed that is keeping the spam away. . .

Wow, that site sure does have a lot of ads. Do you ever see much spam when you're there 01001010?

It does, but I did like how they asked "are you a human" at the end of registration. Not effective against a human registering a bot, but added effectiveness over just a CAPTCHA

Wow, that site sure does have a lot of ads. Do you ever see much spam when you're there 01001010?

To be honest, I haven't seen much. It could be the staff or the 5-post-minimum for links, but the forum has been pretty effective in preventing bots.

I have an idea that is simple and may just work.

Make avatars mandatory. That is not a usual requirement so a bot would not pass it. Humans can still do so.

Back
Top Bottom