Overclocking with TurboBoost

REGNARTS_

Baseband Member
So I'm new to OC and I've been reading and searching on how to overclock an i7 920. Most of them said for you to turn off turboboost and speedstep and all that. I actually like those features. Now my question is, can't I just increase the bus speed and leave everything else as is?

Specs below if it would be any help:

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EX58
CPU: Core i7 920
RAM: Tripple Channel G.SKILL Trident 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)

It really is best to go into the BIOS and set the overclock you want. Or set the TurboBoost limit which means setting an OC in the BIOS, making sure it's stable, and enabling TurboBoost.

Most recommend that you turn off TurboBoost when OCing. I could still overlock and enable turboboost just as long as it's stable, right?

I'd presume so yeah although its best to do with bios like already said, but dont quote me on this ;)

Most recommend that you turn off TurboBoost when OCing. I could still overlock and enable turboboost just as long as it's stable, right?

I've seen this as well but I think the BIOS can over-volt the CPU. If you set the Vcore manually and test the stability of the overclock then you can leave TurboBoost on. This way when it auto-overclocks it won't over-volt and you know it will be stable too.

I disabled all the automatic over-clocking settings and stuff in the BIOS on the first switch-on after putting mine together but that's just my personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom