Sooo... I Might Have Screwed Up...

HiddenTalent

Baseband Member
I'm very handy and have been building computers as a tech for years...

However, last night I might have screwed the pooch.

I've had 6 computers this week to repair. I thought I turned off the laptop and I wanted to see what ram it had because it only has 512MB! I left the screen open because I was just pulling the two screws and popping the cover off. I was just about to pull the stick out when I hear the cpu fan come on. It was too late.

The ram came out with power on to the computer.

I thought nothing of it at the time...

Till I it put back together... a whole two bolts... and now the thing wont turn on...

WTF?

i dont know much about computers but it might seem that you screwed up....because from what i think you pulled out random memory and then the computer is like wtf u just ripped out my brain (somewhat) if the putting it back doesnt work i belive u can just buy a new ram stick and it will work...once again i do not know all that much so no flame plz

You may have just damaged the memory sticks, did you put the originals back in again or did you upgrade it and still nothing? Also did you make sure that the ram is completely seated correctly, sometimes if the ram is not in all the way it may not boot.

If you did upgrade it to new memory and it still wont power on you may have damaged the motherboard :(

sounds you corrupted/ damaged the motherboard or has any wire been accidently pulle out/ loosened because that happened to me oce, also when lifting the keyboard out a wire came loose and wouldnt turn on

Well guys... here's an update...

I sat back down with the computer, pulled the ram again, made sure it was seated properly... which is something I do whenever I do this stuff...

I took out the battery, unplugged the computer and let it sit for a minute or two and then plugged it in with the battery out and it booted right up.

WTF... LOL

Alls good now and I'm more confused than anyone!

I sat back down with the computer, pulled the ram again, made sure it was seated properly... which is something I do whenever I do this stuff...

I took out the battery, unplugged the computer and let it sit for a minute or two and then plugged it in with the battery out and it booted right up.

WTF... LOL

It probably didn't have the ram seated correctly. That or the CMOS got messed up or something /shrugs

WTF... LOL

I've done it before. I was going to tell you to exactly that and see if it works.

got lucky. i forgot to remove my lappy battery, upgraded the ram, and fried the original chip and the upgrade chips! was soooo not impressed lol

Back
Top Bottom