First Time Computer Builder

Merkaba

Beta member
Hi everyone. I've recently bridged the gap from simply being a computer user to becoming a computer enthusiast. I am just starting out in school for Computer Science at a local university and I would like to expand my hands-on knowledge by building my first PC. I humbly admit that my knowledge of hardware and compatibility is on the low side. With that said, I'm going to be building my first PC and I would like feedback and suggestions on the hardware that I'm considering. Is my CPU, PSU, and Mobo going to be powerful enough to run my GPU? Is all the hardware that I've selected going to work in a nicely synergistic fashion? Discuss!
Specs:

OS - Windows 7 Ultimate
MoBo - EVGA P55 FTW Edtion Motherboard
CPU - Intel Core i5-750 2.66GHz
RAM - Corsair Dominator PC10666 RAM - Dual Channel
GPU - ATI Radeon HD 5870 (I'm debating between ATIs 5870 and Nvidia's GTX 295)
Audio - 8 Channel onboard audio
HD - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache
PSU - Corsair CMPSU-750TX (Is this overkill?)

Again any recommendations would be extremely helpful.
Thanks guys.

whats your budget? what do you plan on using the computer mostly for, games, video editing etc? id probably go with am3 quad if your on a budget, and there easy to oc if you want that option what are you using for a computer now?

I'm working with about $1800, but the system that I typed above is about $1600. I'm going to be using the system mostly for gaming and for school (Computer Science major). The computer I have now is a Gateway (absolutely hate it) and it's running an AMD Phenom X4 1.80 GHz CPU on an AM2 Mobo, 4 Gigs of DDR2 RAM, with an Nvidia GTS 250 GPU, and a BFG 450 Watt PSU. I really don't want to use an AMD board at all. The Pentiums that I've had in the past have seemed to be better.

Back
Top Bottom