Method of decreasing spam

It's not like they couldn't post a link, They would be able to give us the URL still. Which if we can see they are legit, then that's not an issue.

Just copy-pasta it to your URL bar.

You have obviously never worked in tech support. A lot of people that will "need help" don't know the difference between a pm and 1:00pm.

Not being able to post a link when you are only going to a forum for help. Most likely never to log in to that forum again. Is a pain in the butt, there is no argument around it. If you need to post a link or have an image or hell you go holy's idea (don't mean to pick you out) and get rid of all html functions below 10 posts.
It's just plain annoying, doing so would deter individuals away from this forum. You know the individuals that actually need help?

Giving the user to post links and/or images in a second post in the same topic would allow the individual to post a link after asked by a regular user.

Once the user has reached 10 posts they will be able to start making new topics with links in the first post.

But I don't know why we are even suggesting any of these so far great ideas. None of these things will be implemented. Nothing we want or suggest gets done around here, nothing.

Personally, I think what we need is another mod or two. It's the only sure-fire way to get things taken care of faster.

We have one that we all agree on, we've just been waiting for some kind of feedback from David.

But I don't know why we are even suggesting any of these so far great ideas. None of these things will be implemented. Nothing we want or suggest gets done around here, nothing.

I think as far as forum features go it's not that David doesn't want them, it's that maybe David's version of vB won't allow such customization. Remember we're on 3.6.5. We suggest things without concern of vB's ability to execute them.

It all depends on your definition of "great ideas". To me a great idea is one that has no negative side effects to legitimate new users. Can you even point one out to me that's been said already that has no negative side effects?

You have obviously never worked in tech support. A lot of people that will "need help" don't know the difference between a pm and 1:00pm.

Sounds a bit like me :D

Why cant the spammers just go spam up someone elses forum. Do real humans actually spend their time making spam bots? For what? One extra customer every year? When these people spam, how effective is it?Do they actually get much out of it?

I think as far as forum features go it's not that David doesn't want them, it's that maybe David's version of vB won't allow such customization. Remember we're on 3.6.5. We suggest things without concern of vB's ability to execute them.
No it's ability to execute anything has nothing to do with it. It has to do with the ability to code php. Which is one of the easiest languages to code in.

It all depends on your definition of "great ideas". To me a great idea is one that has no negative side effects to legitimate new users. Can you even point one out to me that's been said already that has no negative side effects?
I guess we have different definitions of great ideas than now don't we?
We are fighting spam, what do you suppose we do to prevent spam? Not to get rid of it faster but to prevent it.

I guess we have different definitions of great ideas than now don't we?
We are fighting spam, what do you suppose we do to prevent spam? Not to get rid of it faster but to prevent it.

Think of it like cops fighting crime. They cannot stop 99% of crime before it happens. It's how quickly they can react and deal with the issue that is the true measure of their greatness. How is this any different?

I'd hate to burst your bubble, but short of closing the forum, there is no way on God's green earth to prevent spam. As long as there are spammers, they will circumvent every attempt at blocking them.

Think of it like cops fighting crime. They cannot stop 99% of crime before it happens. It's how quickly they can react and deal with the issue that is the true measure of their greatness. How is this any different?

I understand what you mean, but if we can reduce the amount of bots able to actually post then that gets rid of a lot of it. To use your analogy; It's like having the criminals out there, just they are not smart enough to get into the vault.

I'd hate to burst your bubble, but short of closing the forum, there is no way on God's green earth to prevent spam. As long as there are spammers, they will circumvent every attempt at blocking them.

Oh so we should all just stop trying then, right? I mean if there is no use in stopping the spam then we should get rid of all captcha systems, everything.
I mean why use them? They are useless right?

Do you seriously think I meant prevent 100% of spam or did you just want to come in here and scold me? I mean who in their right mind would seriously think they could implement something to get rid of all spam? These systems are nothing but filtering systems to weed out the spam bots we have right now. Tomorrow we will have to create something new, but for now it works. What we have now is slowly failing.

Back
Top Bottom