Looking to get some new stuff

If you are playing a game that supports Physx you will have more EYE Candy if it is enabled. Understand that your GPU will be doing more work to give you this eye candy (the extra work on the GPU is the touchy subject of physx). Its not a perfect technology yet. Its not needed to play games.

Cuda is implementation for Nvida I don't think you should worry much about the name cuda. They were just being proper.

I wouldn't go with a new motherboard unless you're getting a new CPU and RAM with it, which you don't need to do at all. A new motherboard isn't going to bring any performance benefits, and it'll have to support DDR2, which doesn't help for when you want to upgrade later.

So I would get a video card and a PSU. A good PSU can last a long time so you won't have to worry about it, and your video card is the system's weakest link.

Like other's have said, grab the HD 5750 Vapor-X whilst the reduction code lasts, it's a great deal at $120
The GTS 250 ~ HD 4850 ~ HD 5750 all perform alike, anyone who argues otherwise is just beating a dead horse. But with the 5750 you get very low power consumption, good overclocking potential and of course DX11.

That, and since it's so energy efficient, you could keep your current PSU and it would do fine.

The reason I am wanting a new motherboard is because my current one is all awry. But I won't get into that now.

I just ordered the video card :) Should be in in a couple of days.

Now for a PSU...around how much wattage do I need?

Anything else special I need to know with PSUs? The one I have came with my case so I didn't learn anything about them.

What planet are you on? For $20 you get a card that runs cooler, has PhysX and Cuda, and performs better in some games. For $20 more. It's certainly not a horrible card, it's got just as much value as the 4850, it's just preference as to whether you want PhysX/Cuda or not.

The difference is more like $40.

CUDA is useless to most gamers. The only time I ever see it being used is with folding. PhysX is still limited to an extremely small number of games, so that is not much of a deciding factor.
The GTS 250 does not run cooler in most cases. Most all the 4850s left are non-reference and have much better coolers than the reference model. They also have voltage control (at least, most do) so overclocking is better.

I only mentioned the 4850 because it has identical performance to the GTS 250. The really good value is a 5750, which will perform close to a GTX 260, or a 5770, which is now about the same as a 280. They also have DX11, openCL, SM5, etc.

Basically, ATI has nVIDIA beat in pretty much every way right now.

The GTS 250 ~ HD 4850 ~ HD 5750 all perform alike, anyone who argues otherwise is just beating a dead horse.

Rerun the tests with Catalyst 10.3 and the 5750 will be more like a GTX 260. The 4850 also gets a nice boost in a couple of games, but nothing too significant.

Anything else special I need to know with PSUs? The one I have came with my case so I didn't learn anything about them.

Time for a new PSU then. Never use the ones inluded with a case. they are always horrible quality.

What model is it?

Time for a new PSU then. Never use the ones inluded with a case. they are always horrible quality.
They are not always horrible quality. Many cases come with very good power supplys. CoolerMaster and Rosewill are two that come to mind. CoolerMaster produces a quality product and the newer Rosewill units are proving to be very reliable.

Okay now I just want to get new (almost) everything.

Before ordering the motherboard, I am thinking of getting one of the i5's or something.

This one caught my eye:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215

My motherboard is the ECS G33T-M2 so you don't have to go back and look.

Help on what I need for a motherboard please!
And I will definitely be getting new PSU before I order the other parts.

EDIT: I found something along the lines of what I am looking for: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188063 seems good for what I need. I think I would need to get new RAM though (my current board's standard is DDR2 and this one is DDR3 1333 or something like that)

Is there anything else, on this board, that I have that it wouldn't be compatible with? I'm not absolutely sure what to look for in the specs.

Thanks again

Get a phenom II 955 and a 790X motherboard.

You also have the option to get one that will use your current DDR2 so you do not need DDR3, but once you buy the board, there is no turning back.

Back
Top Bottom