New build. ordering tomorrow. opinions?

lewblue83

In Runtime
Hey guys, new here. I'm ordering everything off newegg. Just want to see what you guys think. It will be mainly used for gaming, internet, and photoshop, occasional music downloads. not too much overclocking,

AMD phenom II x4 965 125w

Xfx hd 5970 BE

Asus M4A89GTD/PRO USB3 mobo

Xion powerreal 850w psu

Thermaltake spinQ cpu cooler

G.skill 4gb 2x2gb ddr3 1600

Seagate barracuda 500gb hd. (I don't want ssd right now)

Windows 7 home premium 64bit

Raidmax smilodon case

Asus 24x dvd burner

Hanns.g 23" hd lcd monitor

Costs me around 1700 shipped. Sound good?

AMD phenom II x4 965 125w
(get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727&Tpk=AMD phenom II x4 965 125w) comes with a heat sink already. will work fine since your not overclocking

Xfx hd 5970 BE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102887&cm_re=5970-_-14-102-887-_-Product get this one instead, XFX hasnt been doing to well lately
but for only a 23in monitor, id save some money and get this..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102883&cm_re=5870-_-14-102-883-_-Product
it will still max any game.

Asus M4A89GTD/PRO USB3 mobo

Xion powerreal 850w psu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...009&cm_re=850W_Corsair-_-17-139-009-_-Product
This manufacture has a better reputation if you ask me. Also has more Amps on the 12V rail, single rail to.

Thermaltake spinQ cpu cooler
Do NOT need this because the CPU i linked comes with a heat sink.

G.skill 4gb 2x2gb ddr3 1600

Seagate barracuda 500gb hd. (I don't want ssd right now)
Agreed, SSDs arnt that cost efficent right now.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319&cm_re=640GB-_-22-136-319-_-Product Just a suggestion, but this hdd would be better id think.

Windows 7 home premium 64bit

Raidmax smilodon case

Asus 24x dvd burner

Hanns.g 23" hd lcd monitor

everything else looks good to me.

The barracuda 7200.12 is about the same as a caviar black.

You don't need a heatsink...but I'd get one, lowering temps is never a bad thing. I wouldn't do the SpinQ though. I'd go with Cooler Master's V8 or Zalman's 9900. I have the Zalman and love it and the V8 is great too. Another good one that's also more affordable, Xigmatek's Dark Knight.

I do agree that the PSU OP posted is not all too great. I'd go with Corsair. Grade A PSUs from that company.

All that and you have a pretty darn good set up. Good luck. Any more help needed feel free to ask

Great opinions, I like your insight. I'm gonna stick with the cpu heatsink because even if I don't overclock, I want the option to be there down the road.

I'm seriously considering that hard drive, I didn't see it before.

I'm gonna stick with the xion for now, if it sucks that bad ill upgrade later.

Well the sapphire 5970 is sold out, the xfx is reserved in my order right now so ill stick with it. I figured since I have the cash for the 5970 I should just buy it and not worry about upgrading for a few years.

And FYI the cpu you linked is the same one I'm getting.

Yea I understand I'm definitely being cheap on the psu. But if this one really sucks , microcenter is right down the street from me.

If you're not getting an aftermarket heatsink, spend the saved 50 dollars on getting a better PSU. The number one rule in building a system in my opinion, if nothing else...make sure your power supply is high quality. If all your other components suck, it only takes away from performance. But a bad PSU is cause for shorter lifespan and instability.

It's only fifty dollars more and you were spending that on a heatsink anyway. I'm pretty sure everyone here will agree that sacrificing PSU quality is not getting good value.

Well I'm definitely getting the heatsink because I don't want to add it later. PITA. I'm thinkin about the psu.

My original plan was to buy an asus g73jh-a2 laptop, but the desktop is easier to upgrade

You will be gaming on one 23 inch monitor with a 5970?!

Get a 5850. You will not notice the difference between them. You can also overclock it to about 1000MHz (yes it OC's that well) and it will beat pretty much everything else out there.

You could also get a 5870, but the performance difference between the two is 5% if you overclock them, since they overclock exactly the same.

Just make sure the 5850 is reference so you have voltage control.

You will be gaming on one 23 inch monitor with a 5970?!

Get a 5850. You will not notice the difference between them. You can also overclock it to about 1000MHz (yes it OC's that well) and it will beat pretty much everything else out there.

You could also get a 5870, but the performance difference between the two is 5% if you overclock them, since they overclock exactly the same.

Just make sure the 5850 is reference so you have voltage control.

Well I should be more clear, I'm building this and planning for the future, so if I want to add 2 more 23's the option is there for me. Basically this will be a super solid base to add to.

Well if you are upgrading in the future, go with one 5850 and Xfire later on.

5850 Xfire = 5970. The performance is so close that there really is no clear winner, and this will save you some cash for two reasons. First, a 5850 costs $300, so two would be $600, which is $100 less than a 5970 at $700. Second, since you will be adding the monitors in the future, the price will most likely have gone down by that point, so you will save even more.

BTW, in case you do not know, for three monitors, one has to be display port, or you have to buy a $100 active displayport to DVI converter or a DAC.

Back
Top Bottom