Help me spend $3800

Thank you for all the replies!

Well it looks like I will be able to save a few bucks! While I do have the money to spend if its pointless to have the crazy over the top then I don't need it. I don't need to impress anyone. That is a budget I thought you would need to get a computer that apparently run's in the $2000-2500 range.

Berry120- Ya won't be doing anything crazy like that, don't even know what half that stuff means! :eek: Therefore, it is safe to say single processor and single gpu is all that's needed.

Foothead: Your philosophy works for me! As stated above I didn't know I could do as much as I could for so much less. The programs would be basic, at least I would assume they would fall into that category? Excel, Word, PP, Limewire, Utorrent, many internet windows and maybe a game, all open at the same time. This would be the max I would demand from it and would want it to run just as smooth as if there was nothing open.

Air: Thank you for taking the time to do that. I appreciate it.

To All: Spending the 2000-2500 what would you do? I know I just changed it up, but it has become clear thats the very most I will need to spend to be very happy. If anyone has time to do a quick build in this range it would be appreciated. I am not to savy on knowing what parts go together and what parts do not.

Also, are there water cooling kits? Or is that something custom? I talked to my buddy he doesnt really know how to do it :( so I guess I will have to have that part of it done by someone else.

Back to gaming. Is COD Modern Warefare on the comp. Thats my fav game right now on 360. What differences should I notice between this sort of set-up and the 360. Differences meaning graphics, gameplay, etc.

Those programs you mentioned will run no problem on the phenom II.

Here is the system I recommend.

phenom II 955
ASUS Crosshair III formula
4GB G.Skill ripjaw 1600 MHz DDR3 (2x2GB)
1 HD 5970 2GB
A 1TB Seagate 7200.12, or possibly two in RAID0.
Corsair 850-TX PSU
Antec 1200 case
A DVD burner (doesn't really matter which brand)
You should also get a good monitor if you do not already have one. I have hree of the Hanns G 28 inch ones, and they are amazing. Look into them. You should be playing at no less than 1920x1200 resolution with this system.

Things to note here:
I only put 4GB of RAM. This is because for a gaming system, any more is completely useless, and just a waste of money.
I did not put a SSD. This is a waste of money as well, IMO. They are currently way too small, so all you have on it is your OS, and the only performance boost you will get is your comuter booting a few seconds faster.
I put the Phenom II 955 not the 965. They are the exact same chip, the 955 just saves you $20. Overclock it yourself.

You mentioned a watercooling loop. Here is what I recommend.
Pump: Swiftech MCP655-B (which is actually a rebranded Laing D5, but cheaper as swiftech)
Radiator: Black Ice GTX 240
CPU block: EK supreme HF acetal
GPU block: Danger Den DD-5970 **EDIT: Get XSPC Razor 5970 instead.**
Fans: 4 120mm panaflos in push/pull
Reservoir: Up to you really, but if you have the money, get the XSPC passive reservoir (IIRC only stocked at frozencpu.com)
Tubing: Feser one 1/2 inch ID
Liquid is up to you really.

Sorry I couldn't put newegg links. My browser is being slow as hell, and I am doing this all from memory.

Back to gaming. Is COD Modern Warefare on the comp. Thats my fav game right now on 360. What differences should I notice between this sort of set-up and the 360. Differences meaning graphics, gameplay, etc.

If you get a nice 24"+ monitor with the $2500 build you will be able to see a noticeable difference! Long time ago I argued this with my friend, a top notch PC will easily outperform a PS3 or 360. Once you set your graphics on high with AA and AF enable you will feel like you literally inside the game :) I have MW2 on my PC (specs in my sig) I can easily set everything on high and get an excellent game play going! Graphics are better then 360 and since this is PC you get more control of your player. FPS games like MW2 you get much better control in the game using keyboard and mice then you do using a joystick.

If you want best of the best graphics, do go with SLI/Crossfire meaning 2 graphics cards. Overclock your processor to at least 4.0ghz and you will be unstoppable. With the PC like this I don't picture you getting much sun ten this summer hahahah. Enjoy, just don't forget to go out as well, this thing will suck you in like there is no tomorrow.

Zer0Cool: Thanks for the info.

I found this article about gpu's specifically the 5970 and the 5870. The difference is they use two? 5870's meaning two right?

It looks pretty clear that using both 5870's is better? Unless I'm missing something. So could I assume using two 5970's would be crazy performance or not? Not really considering it, but it is kinda inspiring :)

Honestly if you will be using 24" single monitor one 5970 would be perfect. Actually since you have the money forget about the 5870 and just get 5970. But yes two of them would be really crazy. All game you would be able to really platy them on super high graphics.

Also, what manufacture do I want to go with? There's like 20. And what Chipset Manufacture should I go with Ati, Nvidea, Sis?

Here's a link to where I am looking at my options.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/PowerSearch.aspx?N=2010380048&SubCategory=48&GASearch=3

Aww what is all this stuff there's so many different things interface, pixel pipelines blaw blaw blaw. What do i need to look at and what is stuff that means nothing relatively speaking?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...nPrice=&MaxPrice=&PropertyCodeValue=679:50589

All 5970's but at diff prices whats up with that? Who is better?

Id to with saphire.

and JUST FYI

when this rig is biult, take pics.

i always find it hard to believe someone is throwing down 4 grand on just a desktop.

The 2GB 5970s are all reference still IIRC, so go with Sapphire, ASUS, HIS, Visiontek, MSI, or powercolor.

tbh, whatever is cheaper out of those is your best option.

Aww what is all this stuff there's so many different things interface, pixel pipelines blaw blaw blaw. What do i need to look at and what is stuff that means nothing relatively speaking?

Memory interface is how many bits can be transferred to the memory in a single clock cycle, Pixel pipelines are not used anymore, all that 'stuff' is specifications of the cards.

You really do not need to worry about that, just get a 5970.

i always find it hard to believe someone is throwing down 4 grand on just a desktop.

lol I'm at 3 grand, but that's because i spent over $1000 on monitors.

If you want best of the best graphics, do go with SLI/Crossfire meaning 2 graphics cards.

Why are people saying this? The typical rule is to stick to single card if at all possible, and that applies here.

one 5970 is the best option.

To confirm, One cpu is also better? Or two i7's better for two screens etc? Also just one 5970 can handle the multiple screens right?

Back
Top Bottom