Windows key

Hooyah

Solid State Member
I'm working on a PC for someone. Problem is the idiot who ownes this computer had Vista Home Premium and tried to fix it by installing windows xp over it. This laptop version doesn't have supporting XP drivers so you can only use Vista or Windows 7.

I backed up the entire drive before I started working on it. The files from the original OS are in a folder called, "windows old." Is there anyway to recover the Vista key from the backup with XP installed over it? I'm guessing no, but it's worth asking.

Thanks

Short of drive forensics software, nope. I'd be very surprised if XP kept any of Vista's files around if you installed it on top!

I suspected as much, guess she needs to find that key or buy a new copy. Costly error. Thanks for the help

You could try contacting Microsoft and explaining the situation - though it's very unlikely to be successful unless you've got hard proof of purchase of the OS (and even more unlikely since it's presumably an OEM copy.)

recovery disks?, if the key isn't on the bottom of the laptop sometimes the recover disks will install the os with out the key needing to be intact. just a thought...

Back
Top Bottom