Help me spend $3800

Also, you state running multiple processors does no good unless you are running heavily threaded apps. I don't know what that is but, maybe in my head I will be doing that without realizing it. Do you mind giving me an example?
You won't be doing it without realising it - at least it's very unlikely.

The only multi-proc machine I use on a regular basis is my development server where I work - that thing can take hundreds of hits on a very very CPU intensive server application without falling over (and hundreds of thousands on a normal one.) I need that sort of capacity for stress testing how my code holds up against that many users, and in this case having more than 1 powerful CPU is a definite advantage.

My parents' old Dell with a HD 4670 and a Pentium 4 can run console ports at max with higher framerates than an xbox 360.

Basically, it will destroy it.

Please, describe what type of 'other business' will be done on it. Do you mean things like everyday tasks, or high end photo/video editing and the likes? There is a huge difference.

Really? I don't think there are any games on computer that have higher graphics than some console games. Like Uncharted 2 is better than even Crysis. And my computer struggles with Crysis on high without antialising on.

buy some sense ;)
I think he has plenty, maybe you need some though? Just because he has money doesn't mean he is an asshole. Quite the contrary here I think, he is trying to learn.

On another note. If I were you, and I wanted to spend $3800 on a PC, I would do this: Spend $2500 on a computer now. Put the other $1300 in a bank. $2500 will buy you a damn good machine that will max any game out now with plenty of background apps running. Then in 4 years when it's getting behind on times, take that $1300 out and upgrade the processor and graphics card. That's the best way to have the best possible computer for 6-10 years.

^ Uber overkill. Just because you have the money does not mean you need to spend it. I'm still waiting to hear about non-gaming applications. but I think a phenom II might be a better choice. No matter what, two 5970s is not necessary. One is overkill for a single monitor system.

its an amazing amount of overkill. but he said that he had $3800 to blow so why not. this thing would also last him 10 years and he could add one or two more monitors in the future.

its an amazing amount of overkill. but he said that he had $3800 to blow so why not. this thing would also last him 10 years and he could add one or two more monitors in the future.

You set the money aside and upgrade in the future, when you need it. This waqy, your computer keeps up with the times, and you are never blowing so much at once.

Madanchi- Dual CPU is not useful for gaming. Current games are just now becoming quad core threaded.

If someone else is building your rig don't forget to throw them a couple bucks. I don't know if this goes against some unwritten (or maybe written I just haven't read it) rule that people don't receive money from their friends for help of this nature but I know I appreciate it when people think enough to shoot me some money. Not greedy it's just that these things take time and occasional frustration.

I think water cooling and some of the more flashy components suggested here may require you stick close to your builder friend for upkeep and the like (at least until you know enough to maintain your equipment). If that's not a problem then disregard.

All in all you've got some good suggestions here (SSD and SLI to name two). Didn't look too closely at the motherboards suggested but you're really gonna want to make sure you have one with usb 3.0 (whether or not that goes without saying I don't know). Good luck and I hope this is a learning experience.

Back
Top Bottom