Laptop + wireless connection =/= internet?

silent.zero2

Solid State Member
I let my girlfriend have my laptop for a while [thats never a good first thing to say]
All of the sudden, the internet simply stops working.
She is obviously connected wirelessly to the router, yet the internet will not come up.

My first thought was that her router and or modem were broken and couldn't let her get on the internet. Turns out, all of the other computers in the house continue to work, just not my laptop.
She isn't the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to computers, but she seems pretty adamant that she is connected properly to her house's wireless router.

So how is it possible to have a laptop that's hooked up to a working router and modem correctly that doesn't get internet?

Answers would be much appreciated, because she is crying thinking she broke it.

Thanks in advance

First, how many other computers are connected to the router and are they wireless?

Second, go ahead and power-cycle the modem and router. Do this by unplugging both of them (the power cords) and leave them out for 10 seconds or so. Then plug in the modem, give it 10 seconds to start to boot and then plug in the router.

Third, triple check that she has entered the correct wireless password and that she is really connected properly. Disconnect from the wireless network, delete the profile, re-scan for available networks and reconnect to it.

Post back any results.

All of her 6 computers, 7 on some days, are wireless.
She was afraid to mess with the modem so she didnt.
Fortunately, her power went out for a few seconds so it did it for her.
Now it works, so thanks for the suggestions.

LOL....well that was a good time for a power outage I guess. With so many computers, it not unusual for one or two to run into issues. Glad it worked.

Back
Top Bottom