Getting a job at a general computer store

bentomo

Baseband Member
Hiya, new member here. This is the most relevant board to post this on so here goes.

I've been wanting to work at a local computer store for a while, it's nothing big but they do service computers along with selling wireless adapters can the occasional graphics card.

So I was wondering, what do you think my chances are of getting employed with just an A+ certification?

Probably pretty good. Places like that aren't usually expecting a person to come in with a PHD in computers you know?

I believe I read somewhere recently that GeekSquad requires an A+ if that helps put it in perspective for you.

I read it on this forum actually... hmmm. Let me see if I can find it.

EDIT: Ah I knew I read it somewhere.. Here is the post: http://computerforums.org/showpost.php?p=1023829&postcount=65

Probably pretty good. Places like that aren't usually expecting a person to come in with a PHD in computers you know?

I believe I read somewhere recently that GeekSquad requires an A+ if that helps put it in perspective for you.

If my memory serves me correctly that poster stated that only the lead technician for the Geek Squad was required to have the A+ Cert.

you should be fine, its just a case if youre lucky enougth to get picked out of the many others applying

What other certifications are out there, besides the 603 and 604, that would help?

They'll be happiest to hear you talking tech, showing a keen interest and having some actual experience under your belt if there and independent

After that it's the same requirements for most job-getting processes.
Be confident and memorable in a good way and if you're right for the job you'll walk right in

EDIT: Ah I knew I read it somewhere.. Here is the post: http://computerforums.org/showpost.php?p=1023829&postcount=65

GeekSquad of Best Buy (store level) does not require any certifications actually. - If they do, it is local preference only, and not company wide.

I know this because I worked for the company for over 4 years and served as an in-store tech, field residential tech (double agent), as well as a Special Agent, whom does server work for businesses and large projects.

As you progress through the company, they do require you to have more knowledge, obviously. Both in NY and Chicago, there were only two special agents for a territory, so the positions were limited. They'd present you tests and for higher up positions (like Special Agent) required CCNA, Net+, ect.

A+ is not a company wide requirement, but will help you *slightly* in some jobs. It is something you should be proud to have, as I am, though it is not where you should fall upon and end your studies. Most professionals hiring in the IT industry know anyone can crash for a test (even MCSE) in a few days to a few weeks.. experience, more than anything, is necessary.

Back
Top Bottom