Looking to get some new stuff

Praelium

Solid State Member
With a few games coming out for PC that I am really interested in, I found myself playing on medium settings in beta. I do not like medium. I've been spoiled with top graphics in (almost) every game for the passed few years and now it's time for some upgrades!

My current rig is:

Motherboard: ECS G33T-M2
CPU/Speed: Intel Core2 Duo E4500 - 2.20gHz
RAM: 4GB 240pin (not sure on brand)
Disk Drive: Western Digital 320gb 7200rpm
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8600GT 256mb (XFX)
Sound Card: Onboard
Power Supply Brand/Wattage: 450W - it came with my tower, not sure of the brand unless it's the same as the tower's which is XION

What I'm looking to do is update my graphics card and motherboard (or replace it, a couple ports fried somehow :confused: )

I'm looking for something along the lines of this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150478 for a card...any suggestions or anything is appreciated.

But my real concern is the motherboard. I have no idea what to do in this realm, my father (this was 5ish years ago and I had no idea what I was doing) pretty much got everything and I paid him when I originally got the computer and it is the only part I haven't touched...

What exactly do I need to look for with new motherboards? Obviously compatibility with my stuff but what other things? Or if you're feeling really generous...what board should I get?

I don't really have a max budget.

Thank you in advance!

we need more info
do you want to keep your CPU?
do you want a new CPU?
you will need a new PSU for sure
im assuming that your ram is DDR2
and god i hope that HDD is sata
or sata II
download and run this
then post the screen shots of it
it will help us out some
others will chime in soon

Going with your current parts, I would suggest a motherboard such as this: ASUS P5QL/EPU LGA 775 Intel P43. It will support your current CPU, memory and drives. The GTS 250 is a nice performing card and is a nice improvement over your current 8600GT. We have one in my wife's machine and it runs great.

The GTS 250 is a horrible card for the money, if you consider ATI alternatives.

The HD 4850 (about $100 now) performs exactly the same as it, and has basically the same features, except physX.

The newer cards (ones I suggest) in that price range are the 5750 and the 5770. When you use the newest drivers, the 5770 performs at 4890 levels, and the 5750 performs around a 4870.

The 57x0 also have by far the best gaming features (DX11, SM5.0, eyefinity, lower heat, lower power consumption, etc.) and they overclock tons better.

we need more info
do you want to keep your CPU?
do you want a new CPU?
you will need a new PSU for sure
im assuming that your ram is DDR2
and god i hope that HDD is sata
or sata II
download and run this
then post the screen shots of it
it will help us out some
others will chime in soon

Disturbed13: I believe it's sata II - and the ram is DDR2

I'll post the screenshot later because I'm in school right now :D

Also, I know I have another 450W power supply in my house (new), are you saying I should be getting one with more power?

Foothead:
Would something like this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102865 be what you were saying for the ATI card?

The GTS 250 is a horrible card for the money, if you consider ATI alternatives.

The HD 4850 (about $100 now) performs exactly the same as it, and has basically the same features, except physX.

What planet are you on? For $20 you get a card that runs cooler, has PhysX and Cuda, and performs better in some games. For $20 more. It's certainly not a horrible card, it's got just as much value as the 4850, it's just preference as to whether you want PhysX/Cuda or not.

Well the prime game I am going to be playing is Starcraft 2. I also play Dragon Age and (used to play) World of Warcraft.

This may be a fairly dumb question but I'll ask anyways, what exactly does PhysX do? And same question with Cuda.

I did just look up what they do but lamens terms help :D

Back
Top Bottom