Acer shuts down without warning

reballers

Solid State Member
I have an acer aspire 5315-2290 laptop that every once in a while shuts down without warning. It seems to shutdown less when it is not hot but I checked the fan and it seems to be running. What I was about to do is take it apart and clean the dust of everything but I dont know if its overheating shorting out or what. Somebody suggested to me that I need a new motherboard but I don't want to just buy one. Does anybody know what the deal is?

We'll if you're saying that it shuts down less when it's cooler, it's probably the heat.
Take a regular house fan that you got, and point it AWAY from your laptop, so that it sucks the hot air from your laptop. See if it helps. Then have the fan pointing at the laptop to cool it too. If it doesn't shut down then open it up, dust it out. Make sure all fans are running and if they are. Close it back up, see if it shuts down then. If it doesn't you're good. If it does, try to buy a Laptop cooler to put under your laptop. If it STILL shuts down then, then we have a problem. But I got a feeling the first step will fix it :)

how old is the laptop? if its still under warranty then dont open it since it voids the warranty. if its over a year old then i'd go for trying to clean it out, if that doesnt work then you need to buy a new laptop since its nearly impossible to buy a laptop motherboard.

Okay thanks I'll try that. Its older than a year so the warranty is expired. If it does turn out to be broken I'll probably just get a new one. Thanks for the help!

There are many reasons led to Acer shuts down without warning. You had better to check your adapter, battery, plug and motherboard.

Here is what I did I took apart much of the computer cleaned the fans and put new thermal compound on the heatsink which helped the cooling but didn't fix the problem. I finally identified that sometimes the fan never even came on. It turns out other people have had the same problem and their solution was to update the bios. I updated the bios and it hasn't shut down yet so hopefully that fixed it. Thanks for the input.

Back
Top Bottom