Method of decreasing spam

I was on a Forum today that had something other then CAPTHA. This forum just had a simple question to be answered. It asked

"what is the written answer for 2+2?" With a text box beside it.

That was the human verification. I'm not sure if it would be better or worse. Its probably been discussed or is old. I seen it and thought I would post it anyway.

Spambots have figured this one out.

I think the emotion thing would be pretty good.

Or make it identify three pictures of spam. :D

The price of peace is eternal vigilance.
The bots get smarter and we have to scramble to catch up. The captcha series of spam blocks has been defeated and it's been reported the Q and A is on its way out also. A human operator signs up and then cuts the bot loose.
A sure fire way to keep them under control is to have the new signups in a usergroup that has no hyperlinks, avatars, sigs, or access to PM/emails for say 10 or so posts (and the lobby doesn't count). By then staff should be able to figure out if it's legit or a spammer. Buzz did something like that at CV and it's working great.

The price of peace is eternal vigilance.
The bots get smarter and we have to scramble to catch up. The captcha series of spam blocks has been defeated and it's been reported the Q and A is on its way out also. A human operator signs up and then cuts the bot loose.
A sure fire way to keep them under control is to have the new signups in a usergroup that has no hyperlinks, avatars, sigs, or access to PM/emails for say 10 or so posts (and the lobby doesn't count). By then staff should be able to figure out if it's legit or a spammer. Buzz did something like that at CV and it's working great.

Good idea.. this would work.

Well, I was content with just letting this go but not after today.

We just had pr0n (actual pictures!!) sitting on the forum for almost an hour before it was taken care of.

Something definitely needs to be done. We've got members of all ages here and this isn't acceptable.

We could always moderate new registrations. In other words, a mod has to approve the new member. If it's a random combo of letters and stuff then you'll know it's a spammer and not let the member on the forum in the first place.

I think it would be better to maybe moderate the first five posts.

It seems that the general electricals section is being completely overrun with spam as of late. I really wonder why spammers pick this one section.

Anything that involves a human is too time consuming. Instead, we should implement a modification that would prevent new users from posting links until they have completed five posts.

Simple and effective.

Maybe we can crowdsource something. Have any 5 registered users with over 15 post vote on okaying new members.

Back
Top Bottom