Moving overseas

JoeLena

Beta member
Hello all. This seems simple, but would like to hear it from people in the know.

I'm in Europe now and moving back to the States. I have a computer I built about a year ago that I'm quite happy with. I'd like to take it apart and pack most everything but the case and power supply, then purchase those in the US and put it all back together without losing anything.

Is there a flaw to that plan, anything I should do besides back everything up (I have an external drive for that)?

Thanks for any tips or reassurance there shouldn't be problems.

Just make sure you use anti-static bags to protect your parts. But getting a new case and PSU shouldn't be a problem at all. It's your hard drives you want to protect.

Thanks, good point. Might be an issue to find them here, but I can have some sent. Or I may have the original ones still.

Can't do it. Over here, we use 62hz electricity, where in Europe it's 58hz. Sorry man. While the PSU can change voltages and whatnot, it can not change the frequency. So you have to buy all new stuff. Your current stuff will work for a while, but after around 8 hours of use it tends just to get random crashes and stuff and fries.

NAAAAHHH, I'm just kidding. It should be fine, just get a bunch of packing peanuts and antistatic bags :D

Can't do it. Over here, we use 62hz electricity, where in Europe it's 58hz. Sorry man. While the PSU can change voltages and whatnot, it can not change the frequency. So you have to buy all new stuff. Your current stuff will work for a while, but after around 8 hours of use it tends just to get random crashes and stuff and fries.

NAAAAHHH, I'm just kidding. It should be fine, just get a bunch of packing peanuts and antistatic bags :D

That's why I didn't ask yesterday! :p

Lmao I was about to make a strongly worded post on your un-intelligence lmao :D
Haha make sure you don't fly some crap airline or your PC will be a futbol :)

Lmao I was about to make a strongly worded post on your un-intelligence lmao :D
Haha make sure you don't fly some crap airline or your PC will be a futbol :)
I was sort of waiting for someone to do that, especially since I just made crap up. The frequency is never perfectly at 60hz, and it wouldn't make a difference once it was out of the PSU anyhow since computers run on DC :p
That's why I didn't ask yesterday! :p

Haha, I would never give totally misleading information without telling the person it was false. Although my post could be bad if you're one of those people who just skim and go :p

It will be a nightmare. Have that, a bunch of high end photo equipment, not looking forward to it for sure.

Crap! you got me. I was reading that and I was going to myself "this guy is full of sh**.... then OHHHHHHH"

Good luck with your move Joe.

Crap! you got me. I was reading that and I was going to myself "this guy is full of sh**.... then OHHHHHHH"

Good luck with your move Joe.

Hahaha, I would have thought the same thing. I sort of had trouble coming up with that much bull crap :p

And same, good luck, hope nothing gets fried :p

Back
Top Bottom