April PS3 update?

Kage

Golden Master
Is this going to be an April Fool's joke? Or just bad timing?

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/108/1080373p1.html

An update for the older set of PS3's to remove the 'Other OS' feature on April 1st, so if you have one, it'll be removed and a back up will be needed before installing the update.

Not choosing to install the update will mean you won't be able to sign in online, etc.

I don't use Linux on my PS3, but I know a lot of people do, and that seems like a crushing blow.

Yeah, releasing it on that day really isn't doing them any favors. Its making it seem like they are making a joke out of the fact they are removing it.

Yeah, releasing it on that day really isn't doing them any favors. Its making it seem like they are making a joke out of the fact they are removing it.

Yeah exactly..

Supposedly starting April 1st my local mcdonalds is open 24 hours a day says their billboard... Walmart is also suppose to cut prices on all of their groceries on april 1st.. Why do companies do stuff like this on april 1st?!

Yeah exactly..

Supposedly starting April 1st my local mcdonalds is open 24 hours a day says their billboard... Walmart is also suppose to cut prices on all of their groceries on april 1st.. Why do companies do stuff like this on april 1st?!

It's false advertisement if they do not honor it. They have to do what the advertisement says.

I'm thinking this is a Aprils Fool joke. Doing an update just to remove a feature on fat consoles are just not worth it. Unless some hackers found an exploit with the feature, then of course Sony will remove it.
The PS3 is already hacked, though I don't know what exactly you can do with a Hacked PS3 because I have no intention of hacking a PS3. I just read on another forum where a guy (Geohot I think) was able to hack his PS3.

On engadget there is a interview with Sony. They claim it is not a April fools joke. The older 60GB models will be losing the "install other OS" feature due to "security reasons".

Took me a second to find the article but here it is: Engadget.com

EDIT: Interesting I do not see the quote anymore. False quote and they removed it?

Looks like it's real, the 3.21 at least. Not sure if they actually disabled the linux support though since I own a slim. I am currently updating my PS3 to 3.21.

Someone should let me know. My friends computer is broken, and his only way of getting online is throught linux until he buys a laptop...

Back
Top Bottom