Why we should ditch religion

No. It's people who act completely un-Christian-like and then say that they are Christians that are the bad guys here. They are not "extreme Christians". They are non-Christians claiming to be Christians. Let's get that squared away first.

And where do you think we get our sense of right and wrong?

We get our sense of right and wrong from our parents. As our society evolves you'll notice that peoples values and concepts slowly change. What was considered right 100 years ago is completely wrong in today's society. A quick example could be slavery. Back in the day there was nothing wrong with it however today everyone is free and slavery is something terribly wrong.

It has nothing to do with religion and mainly what the masses decide are socially and morally acceptable. In fact if we would decide right and wrong completely from the bible, slavery probably would still exist since the bible doesn't condone it, yet speaks only of how slaves should be treated.

And where do you think we get our sense of right and wrong?

Why worry about where we got our sense of right and wrong? I think the point is that we have already established what those things mean and if the meanings came from religion then thanks to that.

I'm thinking the guy in the video was advocating abandoning religion (at least to the degree of it having influence on political decision making) because, while the concepts have some application today, most of it is archaic and it's getting to the point that we're beginning to transition towards something new. What's wrong with progression and changing beliefs to better suit the present day?

We're becoming more and more globally connected all the time but with so many varying religious ideals its actually hindering our advancement. These religious wars have always and will continue to be similar to the proverbial "beating a dead horse".

No. It's people who act completely un-Christian-like and then say that they are Christians that are the bad guys here. They are not "extreme Christians". They are non-Christians claiming to be Christians. Let's get that squared away first.

Tell that to them and they will respond with the same answer about you. Don't you see? You're not only criticizing those who obviously aren't Christian but also those who believe they are. Where does it end?

Uhh...Technically, the sense of right and wrong comes from Natural Law. But, again, each person of a different religious background will respond with a different answer.

Tbh, this thread needs to be locked. A forum is no place to argue religious beliefs because things can be taken too far out of context.

The video isn't working for me for some reason. Anyways, my opinion is that I have many friends and family who are religious and it doesn't bother me one bit. I have some that go to Mexico to the poor places to help the poorest have a decent home to live in. They help build their home. I have friends and family that help another through tough times, whether it be someone dying, or other tragedies. It does not matter to me in that sense about religion. I am not religious whatsoever, I don't believe in it. What I do believe is in humanity.:)

It doesn't end. Making these threads pointless for all sides involved.
This. I'm a Christian, and that's not something I'll hide. I'll also gladly debate with anyone who wants to. However, debates on forums like these always go round in circles, people jump in (from both sides) with hate comments every so often and there's really no way to have it in a civilised fashion.

Taking it back to the original topic - has anyone ever heard of this guy? I haven't, and my reckoning is that he's most likely trying to become famous by posting something very controversial. It's sad - but it's those sorts of videos and articles that always get the most attention!

This. I'm a Christian, and that's not something I'll hide. I'll also gladly debate with anyone who wants to. However, debates on forums like these always go round in circles, people jump in (from both sides) with hate comments every so often and there's really no way to have it in a civilised fashion.

Taking it back to the original topic - has anyone ever heard of this guy? I haven't, and my reckoning is that he's most likely trying to become famous by posting something very controversial. It's sad - but it's those sorts of videos and articles that always get the most attention!

I completely agree with that. Serious debates like this never succeed in a forum. Seriously. Half the time, we can't even keep the peace in a political debate....or even Intel vs AMD!!

To the second part of that, it is sad. And the other part I find said is that it's about "philosophy"...which basically is "religion" in a different terms, if you think about it. No, it's not exactly the same, but it's still what you "believe in", which is basically what religion is. So this guy is full of contradicting lame and fail sauce.

Back
Top Bottom