Anyone know anything good about Wildblue Satellite Internet

Haku Mioje

Daemon Poster
Im located in the San Antonio area and dont have any place to plug a hard like cable into so im needing a good satellite internet provider, one of the main ones that keeps showing up for me is Wildblue, wasnt sure it anyone knew anything about it... all info is much apperciated

Not Wildblue specifically but satellite internet in general. All your speed is going to be download speed. The upload speed is absolutely horrid. In other words, if you are a gamer, don't even think about satellite. But if all you do is download stuff and surf the net, it's fine. The other thing about satellite is that when the weather gets bac you can lose signal, hell, even if it rains real hard you can lose signal. I know this because I have Directv satellite tv. Another thing is that it's pretty expensive for the download speeds you get, I don't know how expensive Wildblue is though.

well damn im on a military base and im wanting to get internet that will allow me to play on xbox live and on the computer with good connections and decent prices, if anyone can help me figure out something that would be awesome

Where exactly do you live at? Have you looked at any of the 3G wireless cards? I'm in a similar situation where cable/dsl aren't available and got mine a while back. I'm quite happy with it because the upload is way better than satellite plus the latency is really good and I can actually play MP games on it. I've got a KR2 router also so it's connected 24/7 and powers my PC and consoles and wireless to my phone.

If 3G isn't an option I'd recommend checking the threads out here.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/wildblue

I did extensive research and there are just way to many bad reviews.

For reference this is a current speedtest on my 3G data card. Latency is a little high right now, but it's also 5:30pm and everybody is getting off work. Normally it's around 110-130ms.

@ Tommy Boy, Upload speeds are really quite insignificant here with satellite. The main issue is the 1000+ ms ping it delivers. It's completely unplayable for virtually any game and secure sites are going to take forever to load. To be honest my 3G uploads are almost as fast as a basic cable/dsl tier. Just wish I could get a better download ;)

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::
Upload Connection is:: 729 Kbps about 0.7 Mbps (tested with 1496 kB)
Upload Speed is:: 89 kB/s
Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (Main)
Test Time:: 2010-03-31 21:53:16 GMT
Bottom Line:: 13X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 11.51 sec
Tested from a 1496 kB file and took 16.809 seconds to complete
Upload Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 97.03 % faster than the average for host (myvzw.com)
U-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-0IB3ZLRWG
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) [!]

that would probably work for where im at... can you explain how i would set that up and tell me like the company you use for it?

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;1023307 said:
Where exactly do you live at? Have you looked at any of the 3G wireless cards? I'm in a similar situation where cable/dsl aren't available and got mine a while back. I'm quite happy with it because the upload is way better than satellite plus the latency is really good and I can actually play MP games on it. I've got a KR2 router also so it's connected 24/7 and powers my PC and consoles and wireless to my phone.

If 3G isn't an option I'd recommend checking the threads out here.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/wildblue

I did extensive research and there are just way to many bad reviews.

For reference this is a current speedtest on my 3G data card. Latency is a little high right now, but it's also 5:30pm and everybody is getting off work. Normally it's around 110-130ms.

@ Tommy Boy, Upload speeds are really quite insignificant here with satellite. The main issue is the 1000+ ms ping it delivers. It's completely unplayable for virtually any game and secure sites are going to take forever to load.
Wow, I'm not sure if I'd attempt gaming on a 3g connection either. The upload is still pretty sluggish. I probably would still prefer a wired DSL or cable connection.

Wow, I'm not sure if I'd attempt gaming on a 3g connection either. The upload is still pretty sluggish. I probably would still prefer a wired DSL or cable connection.

Well obviously I wouldn't be playing on it either if I had a cable/dsl connection :p

Like I said it's a little high right now but that's because everybody is getting on there phones since their done with work/school.

For the most part I can play games without to much problems. I've played MW2 with JogaBonito1502 on the PS3 as well as BFBC 2 with Insomniac (Forget his username here).

About 90% of the time it's really playable, 5% of the time it gets frustrating when you start to lag and the other 5% is when a massive lag spike happens and I just lag out of a game.

PS I can't really host matches because of the latency issue. I connect fine to servers but if it sets me as a host most people will only have 2 or 3 bars and it gets a bit laggy. Not from my upload but the fact that my base latency is already much higher than everybody else. If I could ping < 70ms to most places my upload would be fine. Trouble is I can't and when I'm hosting it causes everybody to lag. Where if I connect to a host/server close to me I don't have that problem.

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;1023313 said:
Well obviously I wouldn't be playing on it either if I had a cable/dsl connection :p

Like I said it's a little high right now but that's because everybody is getting on there phones since their done with work/school.

For the most part I can play games without to much problems. I've played MW2 with JogaBonito1502 on the PS3 as well as BFBC 2 with Insomniac (Forget his username here).

About 90% of the time it's really playable, 5% of the time it gets frustrating when you start to lag and the other 5% is when a massive lag spike happens and I just lag out of a game.
Yeah, it's pretty much still peak times around 4-5pm when everyone gets home from work, until probably 9-10pm I would say, maybe as late as 11pm until you see speeds back to normal. If all you are doing is surfing the net and checking email and stuff it'll be fine, but for gaming.....fogeddaboutdit!

that would probably work for where im at... can you explain how i would set that up and tell me like the company you use for it?

Well you have a few options. Verizon, Sprint and At&t all offer 3G with Verizon having the largest footprint. Check there wireless sites for data coverage and see if they serve your area with 3G.

If they do go ahead and pick up a card. I recommend checking out http://www.evdoforums.com/ for more info. I'm a member their with the username "Widgetman101".

You should find some great advice from there.

Also I'm not sure how strapped for cash you are but going with a router is going to be like having a hard wired connection where you can just plug everything in via Ethernet.

If you don't have the extra cash for the router you can always setup ICS (Internet connection sharing) through Windows. That's how I got my PS3 online till I finally got sick of constantly booting my PC up just to get my PS3 online.

As for the company use it's not a company card. It's for my personal use and after taxes the service works out to about $62 a month with PA taxes included.

Yeah, it's pretty much still peak times around 4-5pm when everyone gets home from work, until probably 9-10pm I would say, maybe as late as 11pm until you see speeds back to normal. If all you are doing is surfing the net and checking email and stuff it'll be fine, but for gaming.....fogeddaboutdit!

It's really not as bad as you'd think. To be honest if you came to my house and watched me play you probably wouldn't even realize that it wasn't a cable connection most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom