Decision of a life-time

I was told not to worry about the school's name (by an engineer). As long as they are a fairly decent school, what you get out is what you put in. Getting internships, being involved at the school and getting paid to get your master's is all up to what you put into it. Big names really are only good if you have big pockets.

P.S. don't let family and friend's dictate where you go. You need to push yourself out of your comfort zone. It's how you grow as a person.

Just looking at GT's salaries for undergrad:
http://www.adors.gatech.edu/assessm...m?college=3&level=1&surveyid=35&Submit=Submit

And it's pretty much the same as MTU, although they aren't too far apart in rank anyway. You should look into South Dakota School of Mines and Tech for a good education and low price.

On another note, to me, GT sounds awesome, cause they have Wreck Racing, lol. I was thinking about starting something similar here at MTU.

KU isn't anywhere close. Bullzi is going to K-State which is ranked higher. K-State didn't get me a lot of money though, else I would have considered it. Right now I'm really looking to GT. I talked to a friend who went to Tulane, and he said the experience has been amazing, which only puts me on to GT.

that you have a degree matters...where you got it from, not so much. that you graduated without being deeply in debt...priceless.

Im not trying to push you into GT but...

As for your money concerns, 60k over 4 years is doable. Because GT is located in downtown Atlanta our co op and internship program is solid. There is connections with many major corporations like delta, lock heed, wachovia, exxon and so forth. Bascially co op program is an alternating schedule of 1 semester work, 1 semester study, 1 semester work and so forth. You will graduate in apprx 4.5-5.5 years.

But the great thing about co op is the work experience. You will be paid, apprx 12-18 an hour. It is a full time job. The money you make should be able to pay for at lest next semesters tuition if not more. You will receive credit hours for the work you do. You have no homework and test while you work.

But the best thing is the experience with these top companies. In most cases people who co op will be offered a job with the company they co op with after they graduate.

So gt is known for their difficulty and rigor, but they have a high employment rate after graduation.

Yes it is true that you enter a good major rather than a good college. But if you are interested in Engineering, especially industrial, biomedical or especially Aerospace then GT should be a serious consideration and choice. I think we are no.1 for IE and AE...

If it makes you feel any better, there is a extremely large group of people here from around the world. I have friends from Japan, Albania, Puerto Rico, South Africa, China, Korea, Pakistan, India. Even people from Spokane Washington to Miami florida. So there is a definite attraction from people around the country and world.

BUT. I live only 2.5 hours from home. And I will admit, living close to home is better than you will think. You will start missing family after a while and having them come by to bring stuff and food is always a plus.

That's awesome! What are you majoring in? Would a mathematics/aerospace double major be doable in 4 years if all my math credits transfer from Wichita State University? I would have a minor except that I took Differential Equations II instead of Linear Algebra.

That's awesome! What are you majoring in? Would a mathematics/aerospace double major be doable in 4 years if all my math credits transfer from Wichita State University? I would have a minor except that I took Differential Equations II instead of Linear Algebra.

ahah...sorry, not to put you down. But the math we took here still feels like magic + miracles.

I would highly suggest focusing on aerospace major. Thing is, the difficulty here I believe is quite steep compared to a normal college. For a double major like that you would either be extremely dedicated or talented.

Unless you took consecutive summer classes. No. you will not graduate in 4 years.

But here's another tip. Don't be so rushed to graduate. It's better to stay another year and gain more working experience. Most companies want to hire a graduate that has prior experience. If all you did was study in college, you may be no better than a 2nd year that has worked 2 semesters in the field.

And for Aerospace engineering, you will be looking to work for either NASA or Boeing or lock heed. I personally think the AE job market is smaller than most, but I think less people major in it.

Hopefully, I'll be majoring in ChemE

Edit:

heres a link for transfer equivalencies

https://oscar.gatech.edu/pls/bprod/wwtraneq.P_TranEq_Ltr

just go to pull down and find your college

You also make a very good point. The degree is pretty challenging here to obtain. But you will realize that in the job setting, work will never be as difficult. So if you condition yourself now you should be good for life after. And assuming you own debt will definitely give you more passion and determination to do well. The only reason GT's degree is "well known" is not necessarily because of the popularity of the school but the caliber and rigor of the work and the experience you gain.

Well, I don't know if I would call myself talented with math, but it comes pretty easy. I've been working with system of differential equations lately (phase portrait analysis and ODE45), and it feels natural to me. I'm not rushed to graduate in anyway, but if I could knock out more classes at the same time, it would lower my debt. However, if that means having to half-ass it, then in no way am I doing that. If I go to GT, I will do things right.

Thanks for the link also. I should get Calc I, II, and III, and Differential Equations. Unfortunately, Intro to Adv Math, and Differential Equations II isn't listed (both classes I'm taking this semester).

I'm also getting some credit from AP/College Board. CHEM1310 (rather redundant because both my AP score and my SAT Subject Test qualified me for this), POL1101, ENGL1101, and HTS1XXX (any 1XXX elective course). English and Politics I still have to pass this year, but I only need a 4.

So assuming all goes well, I should receive 27 credit hours. I get 35 at KU, but that's not a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom