Laptop built for kids

Dropping any laptop is not going to end well, whether it kill the hard drive, the LCD, the battery, or something else. Trust me, one drop and anything but those military grade laptops or a netbook with a SSD are as good as dead.

I can tell you this from firsthand experience. I tripped while carrying my old 12 inch twinhead notebook and lost the LCD, HDD, optical drive, and the battery. In one fall.

Well, there's gonna be some adult supervision here so the highest I would expect it to drop from is off of his 24" table onto the carpet. But I get what you're saying. Trust me, I'm not willing to drop $500+ on an item that I know will end up dead on the first drop. I'm just hoping that my kid can be a bit ahead of the game in the techie world as he gets older.

Dropping any laptop is not going to end well, whether it kill the hard drive, the LCD, the battery, or something else. Trust me, one drop and anything but those military grade laptops or a netbook with a SSD are as good as dead.

I can tell you this from firsthand experience. I tripped while carrying my old 12 inch twinhead notebook and lost the LCD, HDD, optical drive, and the battery. In one fall.
My iBook has a built in accelerometer so that if it's dropped, the discs in the HDD are halted.

Yeah, I know. I have one in my MacBook. I wouldn't count on dropping it though. It'd definitely dent, that's for sure.

Of course not. I just figured it was a cool feature. AFAIK, Apple was the first to do so in consumer laptops.

I've used some lenevo's that had a feature in it that did the same. If it sensed vibrations it would slow the drive, falling would halt the drive, and sideways would halt it. I don't know if that was before or after Apple implemented it though.

Back
Top Bottom