AM2+ gaming motherboard upgrade, help!!!

Zureal

Baseband Member
I currently have have a decent setup but my motherboard is a old Asus M2N-32 SLI Deluxe Edition (wireless edition) Board that is not to happy about the AMD Phenom II 940 I put in. It still works though quirky sometimes and i want to replace board with a board that is compatible with it. Need a good gaming board that has at least 2 PCI-X slots that both go full x16. But i cant find any older AM2+ boards that have this :( I will also be replacing my Win XP with Win 7 64 bit, can anyone help me out here? Basically, what is the best Gaming Mobo for the Phenom II 940 ???

Current Build:
Win XP SP3 <Planning on replacing with Win 7 Ultimate 64-Bit >
M2N-32 SLI Deluxe Edition Motherboard (Wireless Edition)
AMD Phenom II 940
2 GB G-Skill Ram < Planning on replacing with 8 GB Ram >
2x XFX Radeon HD 5870 XXX Edition :cool:
2x 320 GB Western Digital HD < Planning to replace with a 1 TB Unit >
Creative FX Gamers Edition
750 Watt CoolMaster PS < Planning on replacing with a 1000 Watt Unit >
Samsung DVD-RW
Thermaltake Element G Case

Im going to have about $250 to replace motherboard, but hoping to keep it on the cheaper end. Also, iv read someware that the Phenom II 940 is compatible with AM3, is that true???:confused:

The 940 is AM2+ only.

If you really want x16/x16, you need to get a 790FX board. There are a few available for AM2+.
x8/x8 will only lose about 5% of performance though, so I suggest you consider that as it will save you a lot of money.

Im looking at the Asus M3A32-MVP deluxe, would that be a good replacement? I hope so, just cant find one anywhere :mad:

ok, iv found what i think is a decent stop gap until i get something better. The MSI 790XT-G45 AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130265
has pretty good reviews from what i can tell and seems to be good for the price.
Was also looking at ASUS M4N72-E AM3/AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131367
Though its reviews arnt as good but iv had nothing but good from Asus.
Would eather one of these moboes be bad to replace my current one? Witch is the better Gaming board? Also both say there good for AM3 as well so i might be able to upgrade in the futer to, good yes? :confused:

If you have a better idea for a good mobo that will work with my Phenome II 940 id love to hear it :D As long as its for gaming its good :)

Considering that you have two HD 5870's, you'll want an AMD chipset based board to run them in Crossfire.

The MSI board is a nice one. I used one in a build for a friend and it performs flawlessly. It has some very nice overclocking features if you decide to go that way.

Back
Top Bottom