me and my bro need a lil help

winslow33

Daemon Poster
my bro's got a '87 Nissan Maxima... parked it for about 3 years without starting it. its an automatic. Went to throw it in Park (was left in Reverse) so we could start it. absolutely no resistance at all, wich was strange... Gave it a boost with the truck, and tried to start it but it wont let us start it, as if its still in reverse. Im guessing the shifter cable is snapped. Any clue on how to pop it into park or neutral so we can start it? :confused: heck, even if anyone knows how we can start it WITHOUT being in park or neutral would be even better. we also dont want to throw any money into it,

Also, some dumba$$ left the emergency brake on when it was parked. now the rear brakes are seized on. We gotta get it running before next weekend because a friend is gonna give $300 for it if we can prove it runs.

Get underneath the thing to see if the shifter cable is still attached and working properly. The brakes shouldn't be too hard to brake loose. If they are rear drums, it may take some "convincing" with a hammer to get the drums off.

Yea. The reason (most likely) it's not letting you start, is the neutral safety switch. All vehicles have these which require the vehicle to be in either park or neutral. As Atomic said, hop underneath and see if anything obvious is broken off. Might not hurt to pull the console out and check the shifter there as well..

Good luck!

Yeah, we removed the shifter (its a floor mount one) and the cotter pin that connects the handle you shift to the cable itself rusted away. clamped on a pair of vice grips to the shifter cable and threw it into park :p
The starter's seized though. Took it out and later tonight I'm going to take it apart and clean it up a bit, try again tomorow

Yeah, we removed the shifter (its a floor mount one) and the cotter pin that connects the handle you shift to the cable itself rusted away. clamped on a pair of vice grips to the shifter cable and threw it into park :p
The starter's seized though. Took it out and later tonight I'm going to take it apart and clean it up a bit, try again tomorow

WD40 is your best friend

hmmm well that's odd... the starter looks fine upon inspection... I'll have to check the wiring with a multimeter and see if its getting juice. but its too dark out now and i dont have a garage..

I'll also get pictures of our ghetto gearshift lol. its actually pretty dangerous, because if you clip it it'll just scream into whatever gear. theres no lock like a normal gearshift, where you have to push in the button.

Yeah, consitering the car was in realy good shape and no rust when he parked it a few years ago. We had to pull it off the road because at the time we didnt have enough spare change to toss into a new transmission (stuck in 2nd gear) and the parts for that car are crazy expensive. They all have to be ordered in, etc.
Looks ugly but its a very nice ride.. Electronic suspention, power windows and locks, heated seats, heck even an electronic sunroof. Wich is pretty good for an '87/88... Was refurbished with parts from both years cars so its kind of 2-yeared model. over 300k km's on it and still was running like a champ when we parked it.
Looking back its a shame we couldnt replace the tranny

Back
Top Bottom