Why we should ditch religion

"We should be talking about real problems, like nuclear proliferation and genocide and poverty and the crisis in education," Harris said in a recent interview at the TED Conference in Long Beach, California. TED is a nonprofit group dedicated to "ideas worth spreading."

If people lived their lives in harmony with the bible then we wouldn't need to worry about people murdering others with nuclear missiles

it is...but I believe some of the points he makes. Don't simply ignore a message because it's just one person's opinion.

I feel like a lot of people here are adamant against everything and anything that those people say. I could simply say that religion is bullshit and that it is simply something man kind has created as an answer for the unexplainable, but I don't.

I have managed to take a positive view on both sides.

Opinions and beliefs are very powerful things.

This is why people here are against the guy and what those people say, well in my case anyway.

I have studied many religions. I have asked myself what I believe and what I see truth in. I have thought about that guys views and opinions way before I ever seen his video. So yeah, I'm quick to throw out my opinion.

Why don't we debate something like Darwinism vs. Creationism etc. its a more clear cut debate. (a worn out debate but clear cut) :)

How about we don't debate anything since no one is ever going to know the answer.

We only find out what is and isn't when we are dead. But riddle me this, if it's all a big bet (figure of speech here), why not bet on God? If the wager is life, and devoting or not devoting yourself to God, then either you live your whole life and enter into the Kingdom (you risk it all to win it all), or if you risk nothing (don't devote your life to Him) and die, then if there is a God, you won't be saved...and if there isn't, well then either way you are dead anyways! Better to risk it all to gain it all, because the consequences of "losing" are the same.

Exactly, Rubber...exactly. We talk about this almost daily in my Christianity class. It's not every Christian that ruining it for the whole. It's those freaking idiots who CLAIM to be Christians and then go off and do stupid sh*t.

Also, I love how he uses statistics WAY out of context. Like the sexual offenses and 90% of them being made by Christians, or what not. Does he not realize that MOST of the world is NOT atheist? DUH! Of course the majority of crime is by religious people (forgot what he said and I ain't watching again/reading again). I'm sick of people who AREN'T Christian judging us with our own standards when they just aren't true. People that aren't Christian don't understand that it's not about perfection, it's about forgiveness when you do sin. I've had so many people through my mistakes in my face and say "hahaha you ain't no Christian!!". F-ing BS. It'd be nice if there was a little respect.

How about we don't debate anything since no one is ever going to know the answer.

We only find out what is and isn't when we are dead. But riddle me this, if it's all a big bet (figure of speech here), why not bet on God? If the wager is life, and devoting or not devoting yourself to God, then either you live your whole life and enter into the Kingdom (you risk it all to win it all), or if you risk nothing (don't devote your life to Him) and die, then if there is a God, you won't be saved...and if there isn't, well then either way you are dead anyways! Better to risk it all to gain it all, because the consequences of "losing" are the same.

That's a bit hypocritical don't you think? Talk about these Christian extremist's forcing their views on people then go off and ask a question like that. And on top of that ask people not to debate it.

But to answer your question, how about we just be a good person because it's the right thing to do? I don't go through my life thinking "I've got to win it all" because logically it makes no sense. There are countless religions that completely contradict another religion. If you watch the video there was a good reference put in place.

Another funny thing I just happened to think of. If we got rid of religion completely we wouldn't have to see anymore of these dumb ass threads debating it. Wouldn't that be a world worth living in? As for the actual video I do agree with some of his points although some of the other ones are a little weak.

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;1022593 said:
That's a bit hypocritical don't you think? Talk about these Christian extremist's forcing their views on people then go off and ask a question like that. And on top of that ask people not to debate it.

No. It's people who act completely un-Christian-like and then say that they are Christians that are the bad guys here. They are not "extreme Christians". They are non-Christians claiming to be Christians. Let's get that squared away first.

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;1022593 said:
But to answer your question, how about we just be a good person because it's the right thing to do? I don't go through my life thinking "I've got to win it all" because logically it makes no sense. There are countless religions that completely contradict another religion. If you watch the video there was a good reference put in place.

Another funny thing I just happened to think of. If we got rid of religion completely we wouldn't have to see anymore of these dumb ass threads debating it. Wouldn't that be a world worth living in? As for the actual video I do agree with some of his points although some of the other ones are a little weak.

And where do you think we get our sense of right and wrong?

Back
Top Bottom