Acer or more expensive Lenovo?

c_boyce

Beta member
Acer or more expensive Lenovo laptop?

I am looking to purchase a laptop and think I have narrowed my search to two. I am between the Acer Aspire 5738G and the Lenovo ThinkPad SL510. The Acer is around £100 - £150 cheaper but I've heard a lot of complaints about their build quality. On the other hand I've heard Lenovo's build quality is excellent. Would it be worth my while spending the extra money for the Lenovo? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I own an Acer, and it's quite nice. I've yet to have a single problem with it, and I use it pretty heavily for a laptop. I can't speak for Lenevo however.

same here.. I actually bought my sister the acer aspire.. Don't expect to be running big processes off of it but if you keep it maintained, (cleaning temp, registry, etc.) it's a nice computer

Lenovo Quality is good. A lot programs Lenovo installs on their laptops are actually useful. I wish I could put their power consumption program on every laptop.

What the...?

My school had some lenovo laptops. Not the expensive ones or anything, but I imagione they were about $500-600 each. Anyway, there was never a time that more that two thirds of these things would even POST. It was just problem after problem after problem.

and the battery life was about 45 minutes from the day they got them. Those things were garbage. I really hope that was simply a bad batch of them, because if not, I have to say, I would put Lenovo far behind Dell, Gateway, and Compaq from personal experience.

What the...?

My school had some lenovo laptops. Not the expensive ones or anything, but I imagione they were about $500-600 each. Anyway, there was never a time that more that two thirds of these things would even POST. It was just problem after problem after problem.

and the battery life was about 45 minutes from the day they got them. Those things were garbage. I really hope that was simply a bad batch of them, because if not, I have to say, I would put Lenovo far behind Dell, Gateway, and Compaq from personal experience.

^

When you say it won't run big processes how big are you talking? I'll be (hopefully!) going to college next year for a computer science course, so would these laptops be ok? Both have roughly similar spec of around:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1 (Lenovo)/2.2 (Acer) GHz
Ram: 4Gb DDR3 SDRAM
Hard Drive: 320Gb
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Display: 15.6''

This will be my first laptop and so with no previous experiences I'm also open to suggestions for any other laptops I should look at with a price limit of around £600, that's about $900?

Lenovo is up there with Asus as far as build quality goes. The entire Thinkpad line is nearly indestructible. My fiancee was using a 15 year old Thinkpad from when IBM still made them up until a couple of months ago...everything but the battery still worked perfectly. The speakers on that thing are among the best I've seen on a laptop.

However, you can get better performance than either for the price. This one is pretty good:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/191979

The CPU is better than a Core 2 in every way, and the GPU excellent compared to what you usually get on a laptop. It's even good enough to handle light gaming, should you ever feel so inclined. (It should handle most games on decent settings)

Back
Top Bottom