Poll: Text Editors

ohm55

In Runtime
Whats your favorite Text Editor? I have to go with emacs, just because its that great! :D

Umm - why are emacs and vi in the same option?! And why are notepad and notepad++ in the same option?!

This might be an interesting poll if the options were presented properly, but when completely different text editors are grouped together it seems to defy the point a bit...

Umm - why are emacs and vi in the same option?! And why are notepad and notepad++ in the same option?!

This might be an interesting poll if the options were presented properly, but when completely different text editors are grouped together it seems to defy the point a bit...

They are both unix. Notepad++ is a major difference, but still based on Notepad, at least I think.
If you think I did anything wrong, go ahead and slap some bad rep on me. Im fine with that.

Might as well ask why mousepad and gedit, or even teachtext and simpletext are in the same section.

They are both unix.
They both run on unix yes. They're not both unix. Even so, that doesn't make them anywhere near the same. By that argument all text editors that run on windows should surely be grouped into the same category?
Notepad++ is a major difference, but still based on Notepad, at least I think.
Have you ever even used notepad++?! Perhaps you should download it and have a play around... apart from the fact it and notepad both edit text, there's pretty much no differences!

If you think I did anything wrong, go ahead and slap some bad rep on me. Im fine with that.
Umm - you shouldn't be. You should really be looking to get your rep up, not down! But no, I don't just randomly slap bad rep on people whenever I disagree with what they say. I think it's better for everyone if I state my reasoning here instead.

nano.

It's easy.
See, I used to be like this. Nano was the way forward because it was brilliantly simple and did what I needed it to, emacs and vim were just overcomplicated and unnecessary.

But then I was actually put in the situation of having to use vim for a while, and having to learn all its shortcuts and how it works. And I have to say I'm a convert... never gone back to nano since. It might be more intuitive but it's nowhere near as powerful (or as quick to use if you know what you're doing!)

Have you ever even used notepad++?! Perhaps you should download it and have a play around... apart from the fact it and notepad both edit text, there's pretty much no differences!

...I replaced notepad.exe with Notepad++'s executable to eradicate notepad. I think I know.

Back
Top Bottom