Returning Member Looking For Advice

Yeah, I've been reading up on the card. However, it doesn't seem to come close to the 5970. I'm happy spending £530 on a 5970 as I feel it will last me at least a year and a half, hopefully longer.

Bit scared by the temperatures of the 480, and the amount of power it consumes. I've gone with the OCZ Z-Series 1000W PSU, which has a massive 83A in the +12V rail, which should keep a card like the 480 steady, even under full load.

Well, the only advantage I can see with the 480 is that it costs a little less than the 5970, and is a single GPU. But the power and heat is absurd, they really need to get with the game on those points.

And with that PSU, it sounds like you could take on just about anything ;)

Haha yeah. I remember back in the day when a PSU with 16-20A on the +12V rail was enough to power something like a 7800 GTX. When I first read that it has that amount of amps, I had to double check it with another website to make sure :D

But yeah, the 480 would be a good choice if I was after PhysX or a slightly less expensive card. However, when I build new PCs, unless I've got the best available, I'm not satisfied and kind of feel I've wasted some cash on a product that isn't going to perform as well as what is already available.

As soon as I have it built, I'll be benchmarking it to see it's capabilities :)

Back
Top Bottom