I'm in a little trouble

PuNkY

In Runtime
So I had this telemarketer job. The job sucked, and only paid $8 /hr.

We rely on computers to get numbers to call. Really beat up old Dells. I have never seen so many BSoDs in my life lol.

Long story short, I lost the job because I left a nice .txt file on the IT guys desktop, that said

"LOL :D
Please fix these computers they keep BSoDing
PS Put passwords on you network shares"

It was a little joke.

I got it on his desktop cause he had his C: drive shared on the network. So I put the file in Documents/All Users/Desktop. I did NOT "hack" his password, there was no need to. :cool:

Now the company wants to get the cops involved cause I was "hacking" and they think I stole information. :( I'm 19 years old, WTF would I want with their information, it means nothing to me lol.

Who knows if they actually called or not. They might just wanna make me scared.

Do you guys think this will get me in deep sh1t? I think I'll be okay since it WAS only suppose to be a joke, and I did nothing else.

Big firms take issues like this incredibly seriously. They have to, you'll just have to see how it plays out

The tech who put his C drive on shared deserves a good punch in the face. Several times, in fact.

You deserve a reward of some sorts. Perhaps his job, and 5 times as much pay as you were getting before.

The person who wants or who has called the cops deserves punched as well. By the cops he called.

I think you will be fine who in there right mind shares out the c drive? did you access it using a unc with a c$? or did you access this using a unc c. cause if you used a c$ you would be able to get to any drive that is on the network even if its not shared you would just be restricted by the security on each folder. which case in point you should have been restricted to his desktop. therefore not being able to leave this on there. Also how did you his ip\computer name? did you have this or did you go into network and find it in there? so can be considered hacking seeing as you should not have been in there but he should have had it locked down

basically the guy is a complete ideot for leaving his c drive open to every staff member and he is obviously very embarresed so he fired you and threatened you with the cops just to make himself feel better for being such a complete computer noob

- and if the police are reading this which they wont LOL but ive heard cases of it before - then theyre already taking it too far

i'd laugh if he called the cops and they thought he was joking and wasting police time :D

Its annoying, but they could take it very seriously.
I know you were only trying to help, but firms like that may think otherwise.

I would have probably have warned them without leaving information behind.

Maybe apologize and explain. Just to keep yourself clear, even though you know the guy was an idiot anyway.

write a letter to the company director and head of HR.

explain that you feel shocked that you;ve been fired for what was meant to be a practical joke.

explain your frustration at not being able to work due to poorly maintained computers.

explain your surprise that the network admin at the site seems to know so little, or at least do so little to secure the computers and the data on the computers.

so much so that he couldn't wouldn't even protect his own computer on the network...

Make it clear that this was meant to be nothing more than a joke. and that you are suprised that their IT expert either does not take this as a joke, or does not know enough about computers to realise his mistakes.

perhaps even be so bold as to ask if you might be able to change departments and start working for internal IT. (don't say because you know more than the current IT director). -even though s/he is clearly really poor at their job.

Back
Top Bottom