Planning to upgrade motherboards

Xoatl

Beta member
Well, I want to buy myself up to a better computer and I think that starts with the motherboard. First let me get my current specs out of the way:

Using Dell Precision 380.

CPU: Duel Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.20GHz
Motherboard: DELL 0G9322
Memory: 4096 MB of DDR2-SDRAM
Graphics Card: Quadro FX 1400
Sound Card: High Definition Audio Controller
Keyboard: HID Keyboard Device
Mouse: Microsoft USB IntelliMouse Optical
Hard Drives: A SATA 1.5 gb/s
Other Info Chipset is Intel 955X (Glenwood)
ICH7R Bios version is A04

My level of skill is intermediate BUT i have never done anything like replace motherboards. So steps of how to go about it, and things to remember would be most helpful.

Also bring up to my attention any compatibility issues. I'm not certain how exactly any compatibility issues can arise from motherboards. I understand that devices such graphics card, hard drives and OS's like win 7 have to be compatibile to the motherboard (PCIe X(#) and it being SATA or not, or if its able to use 64-bit operating systems etc). But I assume that the motherboard doesnt have to be compatibile to anything, its the boss.

Well here is a link to what i want to get. It comes with its own RAM and CPU's etc, its a whole bundle package. But if someone of superior skills can double check and point out any possible problems, I would be most grateful.

Since the bundle deal is essentially replacing everything in your build except the PSU, Hard drive, and video card, there's not much compatibility to worry about.

However, with that nice new build, the slower hard drive and video card could be the bottlenecks of your system.

What purposes do you want to use your new computer for?

I'm gonna use it for gaming. I have some graphic cards in mind. But are you suggesting for me to get a new power supply and hard drive aswell?

I'm gonna use it for gaming. I have some graphic cards in mind. But are you suggesting for me to get a new power supply and hard drive aswell?

it usually depends on which video card you select, but since it's probably an older Dell OEM psu and it does have some age on it so I would replace it anyways, any decent 400w-500w psu should do, just make sure it's a decent unit, some of the crappier 400w psus out there aren't much better than that Dell OEM psu...

as far as the video card is concerned, what video games are you trying to play and what resolution will you be playing at...?

Back
Top Bottom