Random Chit Chat

I seriously wonder if by the time catalyst 10.4 is out, these cards will have equal performance with the 5870. I think there have been like 35% performance boosts since the card was released.

I believe the NDA will be lifted tomorrow, but companies normally allow leaks the night before after their customers are committed. I'll look around a bit.

Not sure exactly. I just remember hearing that Nvidia confirmed any pre-orders were invalid. SabrePC's "pre-order" picture that was floating around the internet was then incorrect (as predicted by members of SEVERAL forums for various reasons) about the price for the GTX480 which it marketed at 699.99 with 20 dollars off. Most people, including myself, have now gone on to assume that, since Jen-Hsun Huang made a statement a while back regarding costs and how he understands the current economy, the cards will cost ~350 and ~500 for the GTX470 and GTX480, respectively.

A lot of people argue this is unlikely due to the cost of the GTX295 which still hovers at ~520-530 USD new. What these people fail to realize is that the GTX295, even after the Co-Op revision is still dual GPU's, which because of the architecture in a GPU costs a lot to manufacture. Single GPU means less cost for the company and less cost to the consumer. I'm just hoping this will stir up a huge price war, which will make the pricing a lot better when I go to pick up a second one.

Not terribly attractive IMO, but to each their own.

EDIT: Each company really has their benefits right now. ATi has eyefinity and their new, fairly powerful weapon: XFX. Nvidia has the Fermi architecture (The PolyMorph Engine - Tessellation, Displacement Mapping, CUDAcores, DirectCompute, RayTracing, an ENTIRELY new memory subsystem, etc) Nvision3D, and probably the most renowned name in graphics - Evga. Which is now playing the role of Nvidia's few primary launch partners.

EDIT2: I forgot to add that ATi has the larger fan-base and bank of customers, since they hit the DX11 gold mine first. Funny part is, there really haven't been many DX11 games yet.

Well I knew it was announced, but only a couple days ago.

3.2 has been out for some time now, but It seems they just released 3.3 at the same time as 4.0. WTF is going on here?

Back
Top Bottom