Computer freezing on XP Home Edition Set Up page

You'd be surprised at what kind of issues can be caused by an old cd drive. Jumper and boot order settings aside replacing an old cd drive can fix a lot of issues. It sounds like you have maybe a couple lying around. Do yourself a favor and try a different drive, maybe the one that's in your good machine and try things out again.

Maybe your drive is corrupt/bad head or something too. Try burning a Parted Magic CD. It's a linux based bootable partition tool it's easy enough to use. You want NTFS file system. If you get a good format on a bad drive and attempt to use it you can find out a lot about what you're dealing with. Especially considering the fact that I feel like that drive is the main issue. If a bootable cd doesn't work its a good sign that your're drive is in fact the problem.

The cd drive boots the cd, but 5 minutes into it, it freezes? Could that still be the CD drive?

ight frank I'll give that a try thanks!

Gekkacameo i am not suprised by anything i have dealt with it all i do desktop/sys admin work but in this case i do not think it is the problem. If he was installing and had an issue copying windows files then yes maybe the cd or drive but in this case i dont believe this is the issue

What do you mean machine?

Here are the Specs of the computer:
Graphics card: Nvidia 9800 GT
Ram: CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready
Processor: AMD Phenom II X3 Black Edition (Not sure the ghz, will check when I get home)
Harddrive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 320 GB SATA Hard Drive
Motherboard: GA-MA770T-UD3P GIGABYTE MOTHERBOARD.
CD-DRIVE is something pulled out of a dell, I don't think it matters.

no not at all i just dont think the cpu is retrieving the install files fast enough so it is causing issue. I have only had this issue 1 time

off all i can tell you is it is in the advanced bios settings you will have to dig around for it sry

Hey guys I managed to get it to install (messed with the settings a bit. Did a number of things but I honestly don't think I can do it again it was all just random) but after it installed it said it was going to reboot. So it restarted and now it stopped at a black screen with gray words. On the bottom it says Verifying DMI pool data. AMD Data Change... Update New Data to DMI! Any ideas?

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg202/amhazing/here.jpg?t=1269485278

Here is a picture of where the screen is stuck.

I would suggest entering the BIOS, and on the main page select "Load optimum defaults", and then press F10 to save and exit.

Back
Top Bottom