Computer freezing on XP Home Edition Set Up page

offthehookah

Solid State Member
I've been 'building' this computer for the longest time ever. On and off. This is my first computer that I am building. I've fixed a lot of problems I have encountered on my own, but now I'm stuck trying to load windows(Windows XP Home edition, came with an old Dell I had) on to the empty harddrive. I put the disc in the drive and boot it, it goes to a blue screen and then in the bottom of the screen words come up preparing the installation and finally I get to a screen that says "Windows XP Home Edition Setup". Then it tells me to press Enter to start installing, R to repair, and F3 To abort. The problem is EVERY SINGLE TIME (i've tried it 4 different times cleaning the disc) but it freezes on this screen everytime. The mouse's laser turns off) and the keyboard freezes (i toggle caps lock on and off but nothing changes on my keyboard). Any Ideas? [This is my first post, (other than introduction)
did I miss anything?] I've shelled out about $500, its been a few months and I have yet to play my computer games:mad:

Here are the Specs of the computer:
Nvidia 9800 GT
CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready
AMD Phenom II X3 Black Edition (Not sure the ghz, will check when I get home)
Western Digital Caviar SE16 320 GB SATA Hard Drive
GA-MA770T-UD3P GIGABYTE MOTHERBOARD.
CD-DRIVE is something pulled out of a dell, I don't think it matters.

Could be a corrupted install disk. It has been known to happen. It could also be that the install is looking for the Dell machine it was originally intended for.

I think Atomics onto something. I've dealt with old HP discs that were not universal in a sense of being able to install all the software onto a new build..If it was a traditional XP OS disc, I don't think you would encounter any issues, However I have my doubts that's what it is. If it's the "Windows XP Complete Recovery console" if you will, Then it very well may be looking for the specs and machine of the Old Dell.

I don't know, Were just guessing here.

is it a burnt disc or an official os disk? my brother had sort of the same issue but his was burnt onto the disc - we got it working but cant remember how exaclty, maybe a new disc i dont remember

This may be a disk issue but it also could be a bios setting. I am sry i cant remember exactly which setting it is but i had this issue before and i had to change a bios setting

I researched a bit and I think it DOES have something to do with the bios. If anyone knows what to do in bios let me know! thanks for all your help so far.

if you hang on a min i will go dig around in my bios here and see if i can find that setting

For the life of me i can not rem what that setting was but i have a feeling it is transfer speed

You'd be surprised at what kind of issues can be caused by an old cd drive. Jumper and boot order settings aside replacing an old cd drive can fix a lot of issues. It sounds like you have maybe a couple lying around. Do yourself a favor and try a different drive, maybe the one that's in your good machine and try things out again.

Maybe your drive is corrupt/bad head or something too. Try burning a Parted Magic CD. It's a linux based bootable partition tool it's easy enough to use. You want NTFS file system. If you get a good format on a bad drive and attempt to use it you can find out a lot about what you're dealing with. Especially considering the fact that I feel like that drive is the main issue. If a bootable cd doesn't work its a good sign that your're drive is in fact the problem.

Back
Top Bottom