Sony Vaio PCG-FR315B overheating severely!

Remeniz

Fully Optimized
Got given the laptop and was told that its very slow. I said i'd have it with the intention of repairing it and using it.

However soon after I switch it on both cooling fans in run at full speed and the output from the rear exhausts is very hot and smelly. Anyways even though it was running like this I managed to install a fresh copy of XP and a few aplications.

I removed the heatsink cleaned it and re-applied the TIM but it still overheats. And this is when the system is idling at 0%!

Any ideas on this greatly appreciated.

Take it apart and clean out everything.

Should be the first step. You can also reapply TIM while you are at it.

My post above was cut short for some reason!?! :confused:

Done this already and had a feeling that this would solve the heating issue. But it still overheats. I also noticed a design flaw with the heatsink. It covers the CPU completely but covers the ATI chip partially. Nothing I can do about this and its abviously the way it was made.

Is it possible that the CPU and/or ATI chip has reached thermal breakdown? It still operates but chucks out a whole load of heat.

The only application that will monitor the temps is Speedfan.

I'm sure its the both the CPU and the ATI graphics chip thats overheating. But I just can't trust Speedfan with it's two temp readings. Core Temp and Real Temp dont work.

Have you taken off the keyboard and tried clearing the dust from the fans (if accessible) from that angle?

Permanent cooling pad? lol

All the important features a locked out.

What does CCC say for the GPU?

The ATI control panel is old and doens't give me any infomation apart from two resolutions settings.

Have you taken off the keyboard and tried clearing the dust from the fans (if accessible) from that angle?

Done that. They're clean. Still overheats.

The more I talk about the laptop the more I think it was a machine full of flaws!.

Here's the CPU... Thats how old this machine is.

Got it working!

It turns out that there was more 'thick' dust blocking the fins.

Cleaned them out and it's much better. The CPU fan is going but it's not overheating.

Back
Top Bottom