I would like some advise on my web site

Just a few things on the Layout / Asthetics of the site.

- The 'Contact Me' Link is the only one underlined. Make it like the rest.

- The Contact info in the banner (top right of page) is ugly. Make it maybe the same font, and a little more bolder / thicker as the main title of the page.

- None of the paypal link images work (at list on IE Browser ---- im at work!!!)
Also get rid of the scroll bars around the paypal links, they take a lot away from the page.

- Maybe make a nice big table or border and centralise all the pictures, instead of having them float around in different places.

- Dont leave such a large gap after the pictures have finnished to where the last banner is

- Id consider changing the appereance of the banner at the bottom ( a few of the links arent lined up with the rest) Again colour and maybe font type.

- Last thing, the 'Hits counter' Is ugly. I can see you have tried to match it with the colours, but either take it out completely, or have one with a more classic view maybe??

I dont mean to be sounding all 'doom and gloom' but those are my suggestions. If that was your first try, and you didnt really know what you were doing, I will congratulate you. Seriously, you have picked up some decent aspects and skills (The 'About Me' page is nicely laid out especially)

As above - not a bad site in itself but I would recommend implementing the above suggestions.

Oh, and I'd say scrap the hit counter entirely. They look like they're out of 1998 and never bring anything good to a site!

Thanks for all the help, I will make the changes as soon as possable.

As for the paypal buttons I dont know how to fix them coz they work ok and without scrollbars on my browser ( IE6 ). What version are you using?

I think the counter is ugly too but to get all the hit info from my host I have to use it.

OK,

Regarding the paypal buttons, the images just arent loading on my browser, they are missing. Im now using Internet Explorer 6.0 and I still cant see them, dont know if anyone else is having that problem.

Just had a quick scout at your code, because I thought you might have got an internal place where you have saved / linked the pictures, but your code links to here for the image: ''https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/btn/btn_cart_LG.gif'' When I personally go there It says basically I cant view it (again Im not sure if everyone is the same as this because im on works internet)

So you used an internet site builder to make this? Do they allow you edit it / or add your own things into the code??

And you can still probably tweak the Hit counter if you have to keep it in.

If you need any help with the tweaks, have a go, and tell us where your struggling, and we will give some pointers.

I used a free site building program that doesn't allow you to view the entire code but you can view and edit individual items. To see the entire code I open it in my browser and click on VIEW / SOURCE and it opens in notepad where I can edit it.

This is where I come unstuck as I don't know how to write HTML code.

I have made some small changes but it was just dumb luck that it worked.

Yep thought as much. Its fine at the moment. I mean are you interested in learning?

You could allways look at VIEW > SOURCE of other similar websites and see the kind of ways they have been developed.

I've never used a 'site building program' and so I dont know how I can fully help you there, also I dont know what parts you can and cant see :(

Heres one tip though. In the View > Source bit (with seemingly endless lines of codes)

Anything written in this format ''<!--$SOMETHING WRITTEN HERE$-->'' means it is a comment. Comments arent 'processed' by the engine, so basically they are just notes telling people who read the code what the section of the code is about.

You could have a look down the code, for example line 20ish

'<!--$fontFamily Arial$-->
<!--$fontSize 14$-->'

means the following code is going to be in arial, and size 14.

''BODY {font-family:"Arial"; font-size:14;margin:0px;padding:0px;text-align:center;min-width:827px;}''

So anything in the 'body' of the text will hold these properties. You could simply Alter the '14', save it, and refresh your web page to see the alterations.

Ive often changed sizes, colours, positioning a bit, saved and refreshed, and repeated the process a few times, till its tweaked the way I want it!!

You could do this, and go and alter things. I suggest you Save a copy of the whole website as a working original first though, and save at specific points that you like, incase you go too far and cant get it back!!

Sorry for babbling on :p

I used a free site building program that doesn't allow you to view the entire code but you can view and edit individual items. To see the entire code I open it in my browser and click on VIEW / SOURCE and it opens in notepad where I can edit it.

This is where I come unstuck as I don't know how to write HTML code.

I have made some small changes but it was just dumb luck that it worked.

Programs and websites, where you can point and click to build a website are called WYSIWYG. It stands for "What you see is what you get". You can type that into a search engine and find several programs to help you.

I normally don't use a WYSIWYG to build my websites. However I have in the past and present used them for simple websites. A free WYSIWYG program that I particularity like to use is Amaya. Its a free editor that is easy to learn and use. It allows you to point and click build, as well as edit the HTML tags if you feel comfortable doing that. Amaya is hosted by W3C, which is the initiative for development of web standards.

You can find Amaya here. http://www.w3.org/Amaya/

This would be what I recommend if you did not want to spend a lot of time learning the display languages.

If you have some free time for a little interesting reading, I recommend checking out W3C (World Wide Web Consortium). It is led by Tim Berners-Lee, the guy who invented the World Wide Web.

Back
Top Bottom