Age differences and relationships

muz

Golden Master
Dont worry this isnt an omg im 19 and i wanna date a 14 year old thread what do i do , because 1 i wouldnt wanna date a 14 year old and 2 i know my own limits when it comes to age wether you agree or not with them is entirely up to you
Background
Anyway im making this thread because as some of you may know im currently at law school , and the past week we have been covering sexual offences which culminated today in child sex offences which was a point of law that academically and sociologically i find very interesting . Now in the UK the law says that a girl for this context is able to consent to sex once she is 16 , i know that on here we have a few international members especially us and as the law there is different , i believe it varies from state to state but in a majority of states the age of consent is 18 (anyone who can confirm/correct/elaborate that with a valid source will feel aprechiation of reps ) we also have members from different generations so i just wanted to have a little discussion , or gather opinions on what people think about age differences in relationships and how that relates to the law in there jurisdiction
When i say relationship i mean a long term relationship where thecouple would most likely be having sex , if you have religious convictions about this can i please ask that you keep them out of the thread i dont want to turn this into another religion debate , If you feel you cant comment without stating your religious beliefs than id rather not get into it
The task
Maybe the best way to do this is state your age and the youngest person youd want to form a relationship with regardless of the law , so place yourself in a country where there are is no law regarding the age of consent what would you absoloute minimum be
Another way we could do it is all assume we are a set of universal ages , so say 14,16,18,20,30,40,50 and then state what we think the max age someone that age should date in your opinion
If you read that whole essay im very sorry about the length :p just thought id give some background

Ill start us off
So im 19 and a few months old and the youngest id form a relationship with for me is personally what the law says in this country(UK) which is 16 , however for someone who is 16 to actually attract me she would have to be pretty mature and from my general experience of 16 year old girls they are few and far between
Even though the law in this country dosent criminalise non sexual relationships with anyone of any age i do still feel 16 is my lowest even if we where not having sex
If we use the universal age scale
14, i really wouldnt be comfortable knowing any child of mine at 14 was dating anyone above 16 but thats because IMO emotional maturity develops rapidly around this age so a 14 yo and a 16 yo are worlds apart
16- i would say a max of 18
18- my max for this age would be 24-25 , IMO at 18 your an adult and can make informed choices but as a yound adult 1 i wouldnt wanna date anyone older than that , and 2 you may still be vulnerable to the exploitation by an older more relationsip experienced adult and in reverse most 25 year olds think 18 year olds are too immature to date and wouldnt be interested
20-my max would maybe be 30 ish again an adult making informed choices
30-40 At these ages i start to become more liberal and say you probably have a decent career or are well; into your career and so would be settling down to start a familly so whoever you feel comfortable starting a familly with above you is fine . ive been brought up by parents with 1 year age difference so seeing parents with 10 years or more age difference would be weird to me but i dont think theres any problems with it if the people are happy together why not
50- no real max for me here , however i cannot see myself at this age being interested in anyone above sort of 60ish ,

I'm 18. I would maybe date someone as young as 15, but the law here in Kansas is 16 (so long you're 2 years apart). So, 16 can have sex up to someone who's 18, and 17 with 19. After that it doesn't matter. Going by your age standards, here's what I would say:

14: 13-16
16: 14-18
18: 16(15 maybe)-24
20:18-28
30-40: Since this is a range of ages, I'll give a range of years. Anywhere from 8-10 years, the higher number belonging to people near 40.
50: 40+

For me, I wouldn't like to go below 17. Maturity differences are too much... A lot of high school maturity girls tend to annoy me quite a bit. I go to an engineering school in the UP, so the girls are fairly mature, and as they say, "The UP, where the men are men, and so are the women."

But basically, it comes down to maturity for me. I'm 18, almost 19, and 17 is probably the lowest I could stand.

For the guys who have rposted already what would you say the max age of women youd be interested in is at the moment

idk, the one girl i like is 19, an im 20, so that shits cash. lol

but id probably go as low as 17, and maybe upto 24.... but thats pushing it.

Interesting thread, thanks for starting it muz.

As you get older, the difference in age will/can get bigger. My husband is 8 years older then I am. In my country, Moldova ... a country of the former Soviet Union, it is not uncommon for a 15 year difference between husband and wife ... I'm talking 25 and 40 not 15 and 30. Girls who are 16 in my country are looking for guys who are at least 20. Also women in my country rarely look for men younger then they are but 1 year is okay.

The logic for this is because older men are more stable in life and can support a relationship/family. This is why a 16 year old woman wants a man that is 20 or more because he has a job and they can afford to do things together.

Thanks for letting me share a little culture from a different part of the world. I hope I didn't bore you.

I'd say that when you are in grades 6-8 (like 13-15 yrs old) you need to stay within your age by a year up or down. I don't think an 8th grader should date a 9th grader (here in the US that is the difference between Junior High and High School).

Once in grades 9-12 (16-18 yrs old) I still think you need to stay within that age range. It will be hard for anyone in High School to try to date someone not in school.

Once in College (18-23 yrs old) I think you also need to stay within that age range. But as you get closer to the end of college (21-23 yrs old) and start finding a job and wanting to settle down I think the age to date jumps up to around 25 or so.

At around 25 yrs old I think it is ok to go up to 30 yrs old or so but I don't think you'd want to go down to far.

The biggest thing (once both parties are 18 yrs old -at least in the US) is maturity. Most 25 year olds probably woun't want to deal with the "drama" that most 18-23 year olds deal with - mainly because the 25 year old is just coming out of that point in his/her life. And that is my second biggest thing. You want to find someone who is at the same point in his/her life as you are. That way one of you doens't want to talk about kids while the other is talking about getting smashed this weekend. Age doesn't matter because it's just a number but what matters is maturity and being at the same point in your lives.

Back
Top Bottom