Spy/security cam

Calibound88

Daemon Poster
so...recently some bastard has been stealing from the community fridge in our dorm. Actually this has been happening year round. People are getting pissed and another friend of mine are trying to think of a solution.

At first I was thinking about stealing some 6 Molar Sulfuric Acid from the lab and spiking some drink/food in the fridge and simply stop him/her once and for all, but I think catching the thief would do more justice.

So now im resorting to technology. Anyway to turn a simply webcam into a surveilence device? any way to make it record wirelessly to a seperate hard drive and record when only the fridge light is on?

Just bouncing off ideas for now

ah i see..

good thing my friend works with ubuntu and is a cs major..

MUCH thanks foothead. Showed it too him..no problem.

+1 for you

OK...another problem. Is there anyway to somehow make a webcam wireless? like through any ethernet to wireless usb adapters? like scrapping a wireless mouse for its components?

Replace drinks with vinegar? Shake up soda cans?

If you know no one is suppose to open the fridge after certain times, put a piece of tape between the fridge and the door in a discrete location. You will know someone opened it up if the tape is ripped. I did this at my job when I had a mini fridge under my desk.

Hide a camera inside an empty carton of milk or something with a peep hole.

You could potentially buy a wireless camera and use it. Wireless webcam or wireless security cam will work. If you go with a wireless security cam, you will need a basic TV tuner in your computer to hook it up to.

You could by a wireless usb transceiver thingy, idk what it is called, but i think they are still uber expensive.

If you go with a wireless 2.4ghz camera, make sure it isn't one that will knock off any nearby wifi networks. Some are known for doing that.

Simple solution.....mini fridge in your dorm room.

Problem solved.

What Tom said. The money you invest towards doing this, If any, Would also fix the problem with buying a mini fridge for yourself. At that point it's someone elses problem.;)

Yeah I am also for the mini fridge. But also as to the lots of command line comments, I beg to differ.
You could rig this up on the arduino with very little code at all.
You could even set up a motion sensor to ring a bell in your room so you could watch on your tv in your dorm room.

Also you could just rig your coke/pepsi with the mentos trick.
Thread through mentos (use needle) unscrew cap put in mentos tied to thread then screw on the cap so the cap holds the thread and Mentos above soda. When the victim opens the soda the mentos falls into the soda and explodes all over the place.
(rather hard to hide who stole the soda after that)

Back
Top Bottom