Laptop Battery Not Charging

medabomb2000

In Runtime
I have been working with a friend of mine who has been having some issues with his current laptop (Dell XPS M1530). As of a week ago he informed me that his laptop battery stopped holding a charge and would not recharge to obtain any power on the cells. He advised that the laptop power adapter still had the green LED light ON, but nothing was showing as charging to the battery.

I know he has had this computer for a little bit of time, so I informed him to get a new laptop battery. He went with one from Ebay:
Ebay Battery Link

It is a 9 cell Battery For a Dell XPS M1530. After receiving this new battery on Friday, he went ahead and installed it into his laptop and is still having issues with the battery charging. I have asked the following questions for more troubleshooting information:

1) Is the LED light lit on the battery charger?
Yes

2) Does the battery get hot when plugged into the laptop (warm to touch / burn hand on contact - need details of heat if possible)
Not warm

3) Is the battery properly secured into the compartment?
Yes its put all the way in

4) Does the computer run properly when just plugged into the power cord (with NO battery connected)?
Yes it runs fine when plugged in

5) Does the computer seem to boot slower than normal now than it did before (like an extra 5-10 minutes to come to your desktop)?
No it still boots up fine

6)Does the computer itself get hot to the touch shortly after plugging in and turning on?
No it does not get hot

I am currently hitting a brick wall and need any extra help if anyone knows of anything else to be looking for. I appreciate any information that you may be able to help me out with.

Thanks for your time!

I don't think he has a multimeter current tester. It would be a lot easier if I lived near-by to him so I could do the test for him. I don't think he would even know how to use one if placed in his hands... I will ask him, but again would probably need other means of testing if possible.

I was reading an article the other day that mentioned this issue, and basically said that a simple fix in many cases is outdated/corrupted software for the power management.

I did a quick search for the article but couldn't find it again, but you may want to look at that.

Well, there may be the possibility of the damaged the charging circuits these circuits are on the main board. So you should check it out and replace that. Another thing is that you should also check out the battery of the laptop. It may possible that the battery is damaged or its life may be over.

Ask your friend is the charging indicator light on the laptop comes on when the charger is plugged in. If not, ask him to try wiggling the power connector where it plugs into the laptop to see if the light comes on at all. There may be some broken solder joints on the power socket on the motherboard. Sometimes you can just resolder the joints on the socket, sometimes the connector has to be replaced. I've done this to fix a few laptops with this particular problem before. Give it a shot.

Oh yeah, 1000th post, son...

Back
Top Bottom