My New Forum Is Coming Soon!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I comment on sites posted here there's one resounding and clear theme. SPELLING and GRAMMAR count!! At a guess I'd say a good 90% of sites here that I comment on have obvious mistakes.

Sometimes it feels like I'm bashing my head against a brick wall however. When the first message I'm greeted by has "thankyou" all as one word (it's two) and phrases like "this forums" it doesn't instill much hope!

Regardless of that though, as with pretty much any forum these days I'd question why you've launched it to start with! There's hundreds of the things spawning up all over the place these days and unless you've got something very special you can pull out of the hat, it won't take off. Why would people navigate to just another games forum with no posts and very few members when they could instead join a thriving games community that already exists?

so are you saying that i have taken some elses site name?

No, he is saying that there are already tons of gaming forums, and there is nothing to set yours apart from them. Wouldn't you rather join a large, active community than a random subdomain forum that has very few members, and is almost completely inactive?

I highly doubt people are trying to discriminate against you. PM me the thread so I can have a look.

I just had a look at that thread. I don't see anybody discriminating against you, but I do see a bit of you misunderstanding them. If you want any chance of this site taking off, you need to have your own domain name. Nobody is going to join subdomain forums.

I agree with berry and foothead.

Your going to need something special to get this off the ground, especially as there are loads of gaming forums.

If you want to make a forum, then consider making it on a subject apart from gaming, and only make a forum if you actually think it will get off the ground, and not just for the sake of it.

Seeing that you had got some free domain name, it certainly put me off, but, if you really believe in this, all forums have to start somewhere! Try being a bit inventive and think of something unique.

Spelling & Grammar definitely count, even one spelling mistake and it makes you think something along the lines of, "Unprofessional"

Good luck then!

You should probably get a vBulletin license, and start from there. Build the site off of vBulletin, then get your own domain name. I cannot stress that part enough. Having a free subdomain will get you nowhere. If you do it this way, you might have a chance of the forum becoming popular. Also, there is something called spell checker. Use it!!!!

GNU Aspell Is an amazing plugin as well. Give it a try.

A lot of forums on a free host don't stand a chance of survival no matter what you do. It's the url that has the free forum host name in it that will turn a lot of people off.
The other thing is like anime, games sites are a dime a dozen. You have to have a niche. Something else that no one does. What that is, is up to you. For me besides the anime, I show how to set up and style the software I'm using. No one else is doing that.
Domain names and real hosting doesn't cost all that much. You can snap up an unused domain name and hosting for less than 50 bucks a year.
Also you can use free open source software like SMF till you get your feet under you then look at pay software, if you want to go that route.
I put out 62 dollars a year for my domain and hosting. If you're serious about what you're doing, that's a drop in the bucket.

Ball's in your court. The next step is solely up to you.

You have to have the domain name and hosting to show VB where the forum is going to be. You can't buy it with out a domain and hosting already in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom