Method of decreasing spam

Bahawolf1

Fully Optimized
I'd reccomend starting to ban some free email addresses such as Yahoo/GMAIL, ect. There are other sources to grab an email address (your ISP, a domain, ect.).

The reason behind this is in the past week that I've been back and actively reading, almost every morning I notice spam. Banning the domain of the email addresses that their coming from, may stop most of it for a while.

Or, add a verification method to the registration form (like CAPTCHA) so that they can't get in as easily.

I hate spam

I agree with CAPTCHA.

However I do not agree with banning the free e-mails. I've seen this done on other forums ([H]) I did not like it. A large amount of legitimate people did not join the forums because it was too much of a hassle. I have also seen when the free e-mails were banned and forum administrators tried to modify the ban to increase the community size. This created large amounts of administrative work on the mod's and admins.

Thats my two cents. I'm new though so i'm not expecting a vote in the matter.

I hate spam

I agree with CAPTCHA.

However I do not agree with banning the free e-mails. I've seen this done on other forums ([H]) I did not like it. A large amount of legitimate people did not join the forums because it was too much of a hassle. I have also seen when the free e-mails were banned and forum administrators tried to modify the ban to increase the community size. This created large amounts of administrative work on the mod's and admins.

Thats my two cents. I'm new though so i'm not expecting a vote in the matter.

Yeah, perhaps banning the free email addresses could be an issue. -- The CAPTCHA would certainly help though I think.

I'd reccomend starting to ban some free email addresses such as Yahoo/GMAIL, ect. There are other sources to grab an email address (your ISP, a domain, ect.).

The reason behind this is in the past week that I've been back and actively reading, almost every morning I notice spam. Banning the domain of the email addresses that their coming from, may stop most of it for a while.

Or, add a verification method to the registration form (like CAPTCHA) so that they can't get in as easily.

A captcha is already in use

A captcha is already in use

Ah. - Doing anything else kind of becomes complicated then and unless the spam becomes insane, its just best to deal with it.

Some forums monitor new members and manually approve them if they seem "legitimate" and some forums require an introduction post to become approved. Either way, seems to be putting in to much attention towards stopping spammers.

How about having to activate your account through your email? Or is this already the case? ....been a while since I registered. :p

Back
Top Bottom