Random Chit Chat

The ramsinks attach with double sided thermal tape.

That's what I thought, but didn't know if it will get loose if the card got too hot.

Most people use some sort of paste that is more effective. Anyone know what that is? I am trying to find some. It isn't just ceramique is it? I will feel stupid if it is.

I don't know, but I use AS5, and that works for me. Though they said AS5 is more for noobs because there are better ones out there.

There is a thermal adhesive, but that stuff is pretty much a permanent adhesive and not really recommend for use on video card ramsinks

That's what I thought, but didn't know if it will get loose if the card got too hot.
Nope, mine are still holding tight after nearly 12 months.

You use AS5 for RAMsinks? How does that work?

Oh, you mean for RAMsinks? Then I don't know, I thought you were talking about for CPU and stuff.

Nope, mine are still holding tight after nearly 12 months.

I see. Then I will really consider getting an aftermarket cooler then. Though it would have to wait a couple to a few months. Hopefully changing the thermal compound would be good for now.

I was looking at some aftermarket cooler benches, and some doesn't seem like they cool much (about 10c). Then again, I don't think $20 coolers will actually cool that much.

I think changing thermal and cleaning out my old 8800GT (I'm sure there are a lot of gunk in there stopping airflow) should help.

Just saw some benches for the S2. They look good so far, would be nice not having a fan and keeping it quieter.

They can make a pretty big difference actually, especially if you are running at 90C.

Don't expect negatives though, lol. You will probably lose 20 degrees or more with the ones I posted plus a nice fan and some AS5.

Just noticed the S2 isn't compatible with the 8800GT

Nvidia:
GeForce 8500, 8400 series, GeForce 7600, 7300, 6600 series, FX 5950, 5900, 5700 (Ultra) series, FX 5600, 5500, 5200 series, GeForce 4 Ti, MX series

Sucks. Also, the S1 (which is compatible) doesn't make that much of a difference. I don't know if it's worth $50-$60 (maybe more if they don't come with RAMsinks) on coolers that will cool about 5c-10c on each card.

I noticed the S1 comes with RAMsinks too, which is nice.
Seems like the no fan would be hotter than stock. The cooler and a fan seems like it would make it too big, which I don't really want to do. I like my cards having space between and have a PCI slot to use. Then I noticed I will also have to buy a new SLI bridge since the cooler bulges out and my current SLI bridge is solid (not bendable).

EDIT - Is it good to use AS5 on graphics cards? It seems like I would have to change it more often as if I used Arctic Ceramique, but the temps would be the same.

Back
Top Bottom