Overclocking an Alienware.

Is his cooler better than mine? Its good hes looking to overclock too, cuz i think we just about got the same system.

i just read this review, the guy tells you what you can play with in the bios.

"Do not pay $200 to overclock the 920 because it is a simple option in the BIOS.
Freq/Voltage Control
Load Level Overclocking
and that is it... you now have a 3.2 GHz 920 processor.

You can adjust QPI, Memory Ratio, CPU Core(NonTurbo) Ratio, Vcore Offset, DDR3 Voltage, IOH Voltage QPI and Uncore Voltage, BClk, PCI Frequency, PCI-E Frequency, but NOT the uncore multiplier.

Dell's Tech Forum states that overclocking does not void your warrantee, however it also states that overclocking over 3.2 GHz will dramatically reduce the life of the CPU, so I left it at 3.2."

Dell is retarded. As long as you keep your voltage below 1.4, temps below 60C at full load (prime95), and you do not do anything outrageous to the memory or something, you will be fine.

i intend to oc but if i dont have much success will my stock i7 920 be a heavy bottleneck for my crossfire setup?

i intend to oc but if i dont have much success will my stock i7 920 be a heavy bottleneck for my crossfire setup?

It will be in games with heavy CPU physics implementations. You will need about 3.2-3.4 GHz to have no chance of any bottleneck, assuming you have reasonable clocks on the video cards (I say 1000/1400 is reasonable)

hmm hopefully i can get a decent overclock out of this system...dont really intend on overclocking the video cards honestly

scratch that getting the i7 975 :) will update once i get the system

Back
Top Bottom