Diagnosing a laptop

AnnihilationRob

Baseband Member
I know, I know, just get a new computer...

I have run my laptop into the throes of death. Coretemp regularly read in the 90s and even hit 100 quite a few times while I was beating it senseless with some audio recording programs. It started shutting down randomly a month or so ago, and gradually became less and less useable. Now it rarely stays on beyond five minutes of use. The shut down occurs whether I'm in windows or in BIOS, if i'm on battery or outlet power, regardless of temperature, regardless of the programs I am running, and whether or not I'm in safe mode. My computer is also virus free according to a number of free malware/virus scanners. I always knew its day would come, but I had hoped to get a new comp sometime before it died so I could retire it to a homework machine. Obviously, I failed, but some crazy part of me still thinks I can fix it.

My first question is: what would I most likely have ruined based on the above description. I suspect processor based on readings from coretemp, but others have suggested the mobo. Could it be power supply? Could be all three I suppose. I know the hard drive is fine, as I swapped it into the laptop i'm using now, and the ram is fine.

My second question is: even if I figure out which component is fried, will I be able to do anything about it?

What laptop is this exactly? Its hard to determine if its even worth fixing. It is possible though.

Since you have five minutes, try underclocking the CPU. Then run prime95 and see if you get errors.

prime95 is used for stress testing what its going to do is push your computer to the limits. if you get errors your system is unstable and something is wrong if no error's the system is stable and you are golden

but i want to ask what would the point of downclocking it be anyway, seems to me like he is stressing it out alot as is its overheating. I would rip it open and clean it out to see if i could get the temps to drop

what software do you use? i want to try to over clock my precision

Back
Top Bottom