XP: Not your typical missing CD/DVD Rom Problem.

Safyreking

Beta member
Ok, Hopefully someone can help as I'm completely stumped. For the record I'm fairly knowledgeable when it comes to windows and troubleshooting so don't be afraid to get into detail.

Here goes. About 2 weeks ago my CD and DVD Roms have seemingly disappeared from both Device Manager and My Computer. I have tried all the common solutions to no avail.

Connected? - Yes, the computer will boot from either drive if an appropriate bootable disk is in the drive - for instance the Windows XP Setup CD.

Registry Corruption? - No, at least it doesn't seem like it: there's no upper or lower filters to delete in the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet004\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}" key.

User Policy Issue? - No, again it doesn't seem like it because I've created a new profile and the drives still do not appear.

I had at one point used a virtual drive program called Daemon Tools and the program had been uninstalled. The catch is this problem is that it didn't show up until almost a -full month- after Daemon Tools uninstallation. Needless to say I'm at a complete loss right now.

If anyone can help me avoid a complete OS reinstall it would greatly appreciated.

-James

so your saying that the cd drive does not show in devmgmt but when you stick o cad in there it will boot? what happens when you got to compmgmt.msc disk mmgt. Do you see your drive in there? Have you tried to unistall the drivers and reinstall them?

Back
Top Bottom