Computer will not Hibernate

Computer Assistant

Solid State Member
Hello everyone,

My computer will not go into hibernate mode. It is running Windows XP HE sp3. I have gone into the Power Options and I get the following two options. 1) System standby [Never] and 2) System Hibernates [After 30 minutes].

The problem is my computer will never go into hibernation mode even if I leave it untouched all day.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Good forget hibernate just turn the machine on and off. Hibernation sucks because sometimes it will not come out of hibernation and you will have one hell of a time getting it to come out. Your best off to leave it out of hibernation because we will hear you on here asking how to get it out

Yea, don't bother hibernating just turn off and on, but if you really want to know, it could be an issue with the amount of RAM you have

Thank you for the responses frank2085, madanchi, and Comp_Pro. Turning it on and off is probably the best way, and I do turn it off every night. I was meaning during the day, if I have it on, and have to go away and then come back after half hour, I want the computer to go into some sort of power saving mode but come back up quickly enough to use right away.

I will look into issues with RAM, I hadn't though of that, thank you.

Ya, sleep or standby will be WAY better than hibernate. And as has been said, you'll probably end up having to turn it off to get it to come out of hibernate anyway...lol

If you're looking to get the machine to come to ready quickly, just shut off the monitor. Hibernating actually shuts the PC off. It just loads everything currently in memory to your hard drive so that when you boot back up it can reload your memory from the hard drive. There is nothing quick about that.

Yeah, as mentioned before 30% of power used in a computer is the monitor (I believe) so turn that off, but if you're only going for 30 minutes then just put it in standby

Back
Top Bottom