Whats the difference? i3, i5, i7

Depends on just how much the games are bottlenecked, I suppose. I wouldn't think that two 5970's would be a problem, but the i7 has a much larger amount of processing power on tap, so there's something going on here. Surely they can't have hit the limits of PCIe 2.0..?

Either way, what the test does prove is that the Phenom II is a much better deal if you're building a gaming rig.

Actually, we are about to hit the x16 2.0 limits when AMD releases the HD 6xxx series.

If they continue increasing the performance like they have with every new release, the RV970 dual GPU card will be bottlenecked by a single x16 2.0 slot. Let's see what AMD does about that....

It proves that a Phenom II is a better deal for a high end build too, not just mid-high end like people seem to think. You will end up with a much better gaming rig for sure by going with a 955 instead of a 920, and spending the extra cash saved on the platform to upgrade video cards.

So, just so i know how they compare, the laptop i am using right now has the intel core 2 duo t5750 2.0ghz 687 mhz fsb. How does that compair to the i7 920?
Also, i liked the waterplant reference, helps a lot.

NO WAI OMNGSDGSDGL:H MY Q(%%) PWNS U AL!!@!@11!!!$%!@!!! 4EVUR!!!!

Oh, and allow me to correct you all.

The I3 (1156) is a dual core, hyper threaded.
The I5 (1156) is a quad core, not hyper threaded.
The I7 (1156) is a quad core, hyper threaded. Slightly different architecture than:
The I7 (1366) which is also a quad core, hyper threaded.

NO WAI OMNGSDGSDGL:H MY Q(%%) PWNS U AL!!@!@11!!!$%!@!!! 4EVUR!!!!

Oh, and allow me to correct you all.

The I3 (1156) is a dual core, hyper threaded.
The I5 (1156) is a quad core, not hyper threaded.
The I7 (1156) is a quad core, hyper threaded. Slightly different architecture than:
The I7 (1366) which is also a quad core, hyper threaded.

Did we ever say anything different?

It wasn't terribly clear when what each core had was mentioned before. By correct I mean clarify.

Here's a breakdown of the Nehalem desktop/server/workstation* CPU's:

Socket 1156:
i3 5xx= Dual core, Hyper Threading(HT), integrated GPU
i5 6XX = Dual core, HT, Turbo boost(TB), integrated GPU
i5 750 = Quad core, TB
i7 8xx = Quad core, HT, TB
Pentium/Celeron = Dual core, no HT/TB

Xeon X3430 = Quad Core, TB
Xeon X3440-X3470 = Quad Core, HT, TB

Socket 1366:
i7 9xx = Quad Core, HT, TB
i7 980X = Six Core, HT, TB (monster!)

Xeon E550x = Dual Core, no HT/TB
Xeon L55x0 = Quad core, no HT/TB
Xeon W35x0 = Quad Core, HT, TB
Xeon E55x0 = Quad Core, HT, TB
Xeon X55x0 = Quad Core, HT, TB
Celeron P1053 = Single Core, HT (*wtf?)

The mobile versions follow similar patterns.

Back
Top Bottom