Grounding a painted case?

cakeistrue

Beta member
Hey, i'm new to this forum, I did a little bit of searching but could not find the answer to my question so I hope you don't mind if I ask here.

I'm about to build a new system from scratch and I was looking for some advice considering grounding. I have an antistatic mat and straps and the way I was taught to use them was to plug both into ground.

Now my problem: I checked all my wall outlets at home and they are properly wired (ground works), but when I take off the alligator clips on the strap/mat and stick them in the ground they have a very loose fit so i'm not sure if they are connected properly. I'm not even sure if they're supposed to go into ground this way since we had these special workbenches we could just plug them into in the hardware course I took.

Some people I asked suggested I should just touch an unpainted part of my case and not worry about using antistatic equipment (or just attach wrist strap to unpainted part). The problem there is I chose a cm storm scout for my build and I cannot find any unpainted part on the interior.

What can I do to ground myself and/or my case?

I was thinking for the case would this work: screw in the new psu first, connect to wall and leave off/not connected to any hardware until everything is in (the screws it came with seem dark and the psu is painted too so i'm not sure if that would be a problem or not)

Thanks for reading, any help would be greatly appreciated!

I never have used anti-static wrist bands.

Install the PSU first then plug it into the wall.

This way the whole case is earthed.

Carry on with your build.

:)

Install the PSU first then plug it into the wall.

This way the whole case is earthed.

Carry on with your build.

:)

Yup agreed.

Plugging the PSU in is what the the school books teach.

If your worried about ESD and are being mindful of it, your probably going to have no issues with it. Case paint is normally thin and applied in a e-coat type method. I wouldn't worry about it.

and again i agree, but if you want i hear a few people sayign you can place hands onto the case and let go, or hold a bike handle bars for a second

I have been building computers for some 20 years and have never used an anti-static mat or strap. Just don't go shuffling your stocking feet across the carpet and you'll be fine. ;)

I've never used one. It's over kill. As long as you don't wear wool socks and shuffle over to your computer and then proceed to poke the processor, you will be fine ;-)

and again i agree, but if you want i hear a few people sayign you can place hands onto the case and let go, or hold a bike handle bars for a second

:eek:

dude, who has a bike by their computer...?

I touch the psu with my hands before I stick my hands inside my computer just out of habit...

Back
Top Bottom