How to get around K9 Security Protection?

Trainzer

Baseband Member
Hi,
I ask this question for a friend. They recently purchased a laptop from Olivet University here in Bourbonnais, Illinois. They started to use it with D-Link Internet and found that K9 Web Protection is keeping the good sites such as YouTube blocked. It was installed by the university so that students couldn't get distracted, but they did not remove nor provide the password or any information on the product. It has expired, but continues to block. The uninstallation will not work due to the required password, and the "Find Lost Password" feature is null and void since it's linked with the university, and they will not respond. The K9 Web Protection Help forums provide nothing but ignores and no help whatsoever. However, a classmate suggested that he could hack it. Sadly, he refuses to assist me by preforming the hacking.

I am an armature at hacking. I can get my way around almost any computer, and I have gotten my advantages out of Microsofts holes in Vista. ;)

So, can anyone point me in the right direction or offer advice?

Thanks,
Joshua

Here is what I would try.

1) go to run and type msconfig
2) go to startup tab, find the program in there, and disable it.
3) reboot.
4) type 'regedit' into run and find the registry key created by the program and delete it.
5) remove any files created on the hard drive byt he program
6) reboot and test it out.

Should work for most programs. You may need to go into safe mode to remove the files. To do this, hit f8 right after the bios, and continuously mash it until a menu pops up.

How can a school do that though? Its easy to hack, and I don't know about the legality of force-installing programs on someone else's computer.

foothead,
Thanks, once again. I hope to try this out on my friends laptop. I'll bring my patience, it barely has anything on it and is as slow as a net book with Norton scanning.

Cheers,
Joshua

If this is the case, you could just get ahold of an install disk for the OS (if you don't have one) and just reinstall using the product key that should be on the laptop somewhere.

Be sure to back anything important up while doing this.

Does your buddy have the admin pw to this machine? The school actually gave this to him with all of there information on this machine? For some reason i do not believe they would do this.

As foothead stated i would reinstall or you can try the recovery partition. I would get a disk and suck the key off of the computer using belcom.com

foothead,
Sorry if I made it sound too slow. I am very positive I will be able to preform your suggested actions.

frank2085,
My friend uses the computer. It's really his mom's, and she's the only user account on the computer will all privileges and is an administrator. I will ask to see more on this. They could have bought it 3rd party from the university, or perhaps is was a wholesale and cautions were known and risks taken when the purchase was made.

Cheers,
Joshua

Trainzer,

the reason i ask is because we use bluecoat and by no means is this a program that goes on the system itself. It is hardware that is used as a firewall/filter that links into AD allowing you to restrict user access through container's in AD. So what i have a hard time believing is if your buddy owns this computer how it is effecting an admin account on the computer. It should not

I'll have to check it out. As I will say, I do not have all the necessary information to continue to state further information on the laptop without looking at it.

However, Bluecoat sounds familiar. If it's possible, they probably just changed the name and picture.

Cheers,
Joshua

They do make a personal filter for home use but I doubt that a college would even bother with this seeing as they have the money to buy the 5k hardware filter

Back
Top Bottom