To the Guitar People

Yeah. The higher end tube amp'd Marshalls are no contest...they win hands down against almost any other amps. But who can afford them? I certainly can't. That's why I chose the Crate. It was the best solid state that I could find at my $300 price point. It was a huge improvement from my old Peavey which was a small practice amp at most. Not that I don't like Peavey....I love them...but the amp wasn't doing it for my uses for it.

I wouldn't say any other amp. They have a fairly unique tone, which is good if it's what you want, but there usually are better amps for the price. ("better" meaning they have better features, of course. Tone is subjective.)

Their bass amps actually fail pretty hard compared to other brands though. :(

IMO, some of the best SS amps right now are Peavey's Transtube line. As long as you're not trying to play metal on them, the 10" and 12" ones do a very good impression of a much more expensive amp. The Vypyr is just as good though...they have analog distortion, an awesome effects processor(they're actually useful!), and even a decent usb interface. Not to mention, the Sanpera is awesome.

I wouldn't say any other amp. They have a fairly unique tone, which is good if it's what you want, but there usually are better amps for the price. ("better" meaning they have better features, of course. Tone is subjective.)

Their bass amps actually fail pretty hard compared to other brands though. :(

IMO, some of the best SS amps right now are Peavey's Transtube line. As long as you're not trying to play metal on them, the 10" and 12" ones do a very good impression of a much more expensive amp. The Vypyr is just as good though...they have analog distortion, an awesome effects processor(they're actually useful!), and even a decent usb interface. Not to mention, the Sanpera is awesome.

No no. I agree. I'm purely talking tube guitar amps for large venues. Marshall is almost the standard there.

I would have gotten a Peavey if I could have afforded one. They are one of my favorite brands. Good quality stuff.

Oh I see what you're saying...kind of like Fender for blues and Ampeg for just about any bass.

Although, Ampeg is losing a lot of ground...they moved production AND customer service overseas. :(

I'd almost call myself a Peavey fanboy, lol. I'm not, not really, but they have the best product for the price often enough that I'm always recommending them. Carvin is up there too though...they're pretty awesome. They usually have the best prices on the market, but you have to buy directly from them.

edit: That reminds me, this thing is pretty awesome given the price-
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=SX300

Until you wanna Actually dump some $$ into an amp you gonna be stuck in a SolidState Amp situation, not saying a good Tube amp isn't findable for cheap, but it will take a LOT of digging, and generaly speaking once you get into tube amps you'll be looking at half stacks for most of them, I know Peavy has the JSX Half Stack Tube for around $1,000 on musician's friend, thats one of the best deals I've seen on a tube half stack. IMO, I want a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier half stack, I just need the $3,000 to get it. That is the amp that was taking over the newer metal scene, right up until Mesa released the new Mark IV's. Personally atm, I have a Crate GFX 212 and with a compressor in the chain it has a pretty decent sound to it, right up till I set it next to a Real half stack.

Also Holysky, if you don't NEED a floydrose Don't get it, I'll repeat that...DO NOT GET IT. If your not gonna use it, all it will do is cause a LOT of head aches, tunning, changing tuning, restringing, its all harder with a floydrose, I did that when I got my ESP F-250, I thought I would use the FR more, but in the end I pretty much wanted to smash it against the wall, now I just keep it stringed up for a back up guitar.

Peavy is good Solid stuff imo, and that goes for Anything they make, its not real fancy with all the catch me thrill me stuff on it, effects are a little sub par, but they make good stuff that is durable, don't break often, they're stuff is simply getting the job done...for a LONG time, I have used/seen 20+year peavy equipment still working just fine.

Marshal, I've just Never been impressed with, EVER. I would Much rather a Peavy or Crate over a Marshal any day of the week. as far as you Raven Amp, I haven't herd anything about that company so I have no idea about anything about those.

Ibanez is good stuff, they're necks are fast and thin, but so are Schecter's once again I'll refer to my prior idea, its more about the pick ups than anything else, as far as sound goes, as far staying in tune, pick your brand, my EPS held in tune pretty well, my Schecter on the other hand, I play roughly 2-3 hours a day everyday, had it for 2 months, EVERYTIME I pick it up its still in Perfect tune. It actually holds tune better than my Taylor Acoustic, and you can ask the acoustic guys, Taylor makes SOLID acoustic guitars.

one last ramble for this post, Holysky, for you, I would get the Epiphone, the Ibanez looks cooler, but the FR will make you very sad. and for the amp, plug the Epiphone into a all the amps they got at the store in your budget and see what you get. You will probably end up likeing a Peavy 212 combo amp in your price range though.

edit:Sorry I REALLY need to work on NOT posting 10 page essay's as a "quick reply" sorry for length.

Hey dude we have mods that post basically one page in a post you can take your time as long as your contributing, its all good.

+1

What about 7 strings? I love Korn, but i heard they are hard to play and feel like baseball bats

I would get REAL comfy with a 6string before you venture into the world of 7-8 string Guitar's. its an extra stretch to get those power cords, and some of Korn's stuff specificly takes a LONG leap from that low B string to the High E, like the breakdown in Freak on a Leash, its a BIG hop crossing 6 strings. I love the way a 7string sounds, but you are gonna be pretty stuck playing only Korn's stuff if you get a 7 string, a few other underground band's use 7's but most are just dropping to a Drop C Tuneing on a 6 string (this what I LOVE to play in). is it possible to play everything on a7, yes, but it is gonna feel REAL weird. imo, get 2 real good 6 string guitars, then move into the world of 7-8 string guitars. Just my 2cents though

I hate Fenders. Personal opinion after playing guitar for over 9 years. But this is probably because I'm not a soloist. For that, I understand why lead solo would want a Fender...for that heavy twang and grind. But for what I play, I'll stick with my el-cheapo Epiphones. Love em to death.

weird, I personally like Fender (style) guitars and dislike Gibson (style) guitars.
I find the raised bridge and angled neck difficult.

I agree with the sound though, fneders have a thinner sound, more suited to lead, whilst gibsons have that fatter sound.
it's all in the pups though.

if I wanted the fatter sound I'd probably take tools to my fender and fit humbuckers before I switched to a gibson style guitar (just for comfort).

Yea thats another thing, the frets are all uneven, i have it in standard EADGBE tuning and it buzzes still, but i can bear with it until i save up enough.
so take the strings off and fix it.

to be honest, if you think that the guitar is junk anyway you've not got a lot to loose and a whole load to gain by having a go at fixing it. There are plenty of online tutorials for flatting and re-profiling frets, it's not difficult.
(there are also plenty of online tutorials for setting the neck, and the action and the intonation).

At the end of it you;re probably going to have a nice guitar that has good even frets that doesn't buzz...

the pickups are always going to be a problem, but if you've got a really well set up guitar then you may feel like investing some money in some decent pickups at a later date.

Back
Top Bottom